ECN Forum
Posted By: DQvision Electrical Estimating Software? - 10/16/02 08:18 PM
OK everyone... I'm rounding up some information regarding what Electrical Estimating Software everyone here on ECN uses.

If you don't use any at all... maybe drop a line and let us all know why you don't.

This information is of interest to me and I figure could help others here also. There are numerous options out there which can be very confusing!

DQvision
Posted By: Electric Eagle Re: Electrical Estimating Software? - 10/16/02 09:11 PM
We do all of our estimates manually. Every job that we do is different, so I don't see how standard software could help. Also most of our work is billed at completion based on work performed, so no estimate is every done.

[This message has been edited by Electric Eagle (edited 10-16-2002).]
Posted By: Bjarney Re: Electrical Estimating Software? - 10/16/02 09:52 PM
Spreadsheets are indispensable!
Posted By: DQvision Re: Electrical Estimating Software? - 10/16/02 09:58 PM
I see! So the use of software would only slow down your processes. That makes perfect sense to me. Half the time, computer software tends to just add complications to an already complicated process. Someday, software may finally reach a level of usability that will actually be of use. Some do, but not many...

Thanks for the quick feedback!

DQvision

[This message has been edited by DQvision (edited 10-16-2002).]
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Electrical Estimating Software? - 10/17/02 12:45 AM
Spreadsheets are the way I do it. We also do a lot of T&M work for our steady clients. The budget figures, and the estimates are all Excel or Lotus on the laptop. Can't justify the cost of the estimating software.
John
Posted By: JoeBart Re: Electrical Estimating Software? - 03/14/03 01:11 PM
Hi All:
I have been using either Lotus or Excell spreadsheets and have been sucessful with them for putting bids together. The one drawback I have is keeping the material pricing updated and readily available to add to a spreadsheet. I usually have to type in the material then price it. I don't mind doing the pricing but I would like to find a spreadshee that can accept material descriptions so all I need to do is point to it then have it transfer to the next item on the bid.

Now am I asking for too much? lol, I have tried putting together a database program to do just that but it got wiped out when I upgraded my system from Win ME to Win XP. I don't have time to re-type all the code...

What kind of spreadsheets do you use? Where can I get a copy? Thanks for allowing me to add my 2 wirenuts...

Joe
© ECN Electrical Forums