ECN Forum
Posted By: Admin New Features Primer - 03/25/07 05:10 PM
I figured it would be a good idea to start a thread about new features at ECN to help bring others up to speed with some obvious (and not so obvious) features. Please add your observations and tips here so that we'll all get up to speed faster.

Bill
Posted By: Admin Re: New Features Primer - 03/25/07 05:26 PM
Here's 2 New features that are not so obvious:

We now have a PM (Private Message) feature, which is a way to communicate with members without sending emails. Members can include up to 5 recipients and keep track of each (as to who has read what).

Regarding the 'Online' indicators, the little guy included in that is a 'mood' indicator. (Try hovering over it to see what it says) He is also found in the top right-hand corner above the FAQ link and can be changed by clicking on him.

Bill
Posted By: Admin Re: New Features Primer - 03/25/07 05:40 PM
There is a Personal Calendar and a Public Calendar. Personal calendar is there for your use only and can't be seen by anyone else.

The Public Calendar will show Member's Birthdays (if included in Member's profile) - but not ages, and other items can only be added by Mods or Admin.

Bill
Posted By: e57 Re: New Features Primer - 03/26/07 06:18 AM
Hey Bill I like the up-grade so far. Alot of typical feature found on some of the other forums I post at, and a few that aren't. Still trying to get used to the new look and feel.

But- Just one little thing.... Do you think there might be some, ah... Don't take this the wrong way, but some more masculine looking smilies available? blush
Posted By: Admin Re: New Features Primer - 03/26/07 02:30 PM
But- Just one little thing.... Do you think there might be some, ah... Don't take this the wrong way, but some more masculine looking smilies available?
Hey! I hand-picked each one of those! LOL

We can change or add new smilies eventually. We've got to iron out some Bugs first and make sure links to old threads get directed to the new versions.

smile
Bill
Posted By: Lostazhell Re: New Features Primer - 03/27/07 12:13 AM
Oh my Lord, where am I?!?? I get sick and stay away from the net for one weekend and ECN begins to resemble my wifes' scrapbooking forum laugh laugh Have we reached our final upgrade now? I think I could get used to this wink

Posted By: Admin Re: New Features Primer - 03/27/07 02:25 AM
Originally Posted by Lostazhell
I get sick and stay away from the net for one weekend and ECN begins to resemble my wifes' scrapbooking forum laugh laugh Have we reached our final upgrade now? I think I could get used to this wink

LOL!

There are still some modifications to be done and tweaks here and there, but yup, this is the New ECN...

smile
Bill
Posted By: Trumpy Re: New Features Primer - 03/27/07 08:28 AM
Bill,
One thing I can't get over with this new Forum, is how quickly the pages load.
It's great!.
cool
Posted By: Trumpy Re: New Features Primer - 03/27/07 12:19 PM
One other thing,
If you have no need for it, you can remove the Left Hand Side menu.
You can do it in your Preferences. whistle
Posted By: Admin Re: New Features Primer - 03/27/07 03:06 PM
There's quite a few options that can be changed in your Preferences menu including a selection of color schemes (styles) for the Forum. You can select one and press the 'Preview' Button to see how it would look.

To those that may not know; your preferences and your Profile settings can be accessed by clicking on the 'My Stuff' Link in the top bar above the Forum.

cool
Bill
Posted By: Kenbo Re: New Features Primer - 03/27/07 09:09 PM
I have changed the time in the prefrences foward by 5 hours. Now when I post it shows the time that I posted in the UK.
Will the people in the USA see the time I posted as UK time or will it change to US time on their screens?
Posted By: Admin Re: New Features Primer - 03/27/07 09:14 PM
Will the people in the USA see the time I posted as UK time or will it change to US time on their screens?
Kenny,

Time shown on your post is 5:09 pm for me (which is just a couple min. ago).

smile
Bill
Posted By: Admin Re: New Features Primer - 03/27/07 10:06 PM
Question for people using 800 x 640 screen resolution:

With the left column on, and using the default style (ubbcentral - Blue) does this thread - and others containing a quote stretch the screen out causing you to scroll?

Does it look different (better) switching to the UBBThreads style?

Reason I ask is that I found the quote box was using a set width and I changed it to a % of available width (in the UBBthreads style) and want to make sure it looks OK before modifying the other styles.

Bill

P.S. - For people using higher resolution with or without the Left Column - Does the UBBthreads style look the same proportionally?
Posted By: RODALCO Re: New Features Primer - 03/27/07 10:38 PM
Bill, Thanks to you and your team for the upgrades at ECN, You must have had some sleepless nights and long 20 hour days.

I think this new layout and new options are awsome.
The pages are loading a lot faster too.

Many Thanks

Raymond
Posted By: Admin Re: New Features Primer - 03/28/07 02:47 AM
Thanks Ray!
I'm pretty pleased with it.

smile
Bill
Posted By: Admin Re: New Features Primer - 03/28/07 03:07 AM
I enabled something New tonight.

Members should now be seeing Red Numbers ( ie. (1)) in the Main Forum Display page next to # of Threads and/or Posts. This is supposed to signify # of New Threads and Posts since you were last in that area.

(FYI: You can make them all go away by clicking the 'Mark all Read' link near the bottom Left of page.)

Bill

P.S. Does anyone like this new Feature? - or do you find the Red #s annoying?
Posted By: Admin Re: New Features Primer - 03/28/07 01:20 PM
There is an 'Active Topics' Link in the Bar above the Forum that will show you the active topics in the last 24 hrs to 7 days. If you hover over the thread link you will see a preview of the last post in that thread, and clicking on it will bring you there.

If there is a little arrow ( [Linked Image] ) to the left of the link, clicking on it will bring you to the first new post in that thread since the last time you were there. (I think ... confused )

Here's a direct link to the 'Active Topic' list for the last 24 hrs:

>> 'Active Topics'

BTW, the Active Topic link is one of a few things that does not appear for non-members or if you are not logged in.
Posted By: Admin Re: Happy Birthday! - 03/28/07 03:03 PM
Happy Birthday!

Our first Featured Birthday in the new Forum Calendar is VAElec!

If you put your date of Birth in your Profile (under 'My Stuff') your Birthday (not year born, though) will show up in our Calendar.

Bill
smile
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Happy Birthday! - 03/28/07 03:12 PM
I like the idea that you can make the number of posts per page bigger
Posted By: Admin Re: New Features - 03/29/07 01:01 AM
Originally Posted by Webmaster

With the left column on, and using the default style (ubbcentral - Blue) does this thread - and others containing a quote stretch the screen out causing you to scroll?
Note:

I made the modifications to the ubbcentral (Blue) style so the Quote Box wouldn't stretch out the page on 800 x 640 Resolution.

If anyone notices any negative results please let me know.

Bill
Posted By: Trumpy Re: New Features - 03/29/07 01:24 AM
I was having a senior moment before while trying to post a thread for Ray and I was nearly ready to PM Bill.
But, had I have opened my eyes, I would have noticed that at the end of that line of icons in this reply window, there are 2 arrows, these increase/decrease the size of the post window when you are tapping out a reply to a thread, saves a LOT of scrolling and annoyance, I can tell you!. grin
Posted By: Admin Re: New Features - 03/29/07 01:28 AM
Originally Posted by gfretwell
I like the idea that you can make the number of posts per page bigger
Greg,

Yes, you can set it according to your preferences. I think 20 topics/page and 10 posts/page seems like a good setting. I made that the default, but that will probably only affect the New people that sign up from now on.

Bill
Posted By: Admin Re: New Features - 03/29/07 01:39 AM
Originally Posted by Trumpy
...I would have noticed that at the end of that line of icons in this reply window, there are 2 arrows, these increase/decrease the size of the post window when you are tapping out a reply to a thread, saves a LOT of scrolling and annoyance, I can tell you!. grin
Mike,

I saw the arrows and that it made the window bigger, but I didn't know it kept going! smile

I learned something new there myself, Thanks for passing that on!

smile
Bill
Posted By: Trumpy Re: New Features - 03/29/07 01:51 AM
Not a problem Bill,
Although one thing I do find a tad annoying is when you go to post a reply, you only get the last reply of the thread, not a biggie, but the old software used to give you up to (I think 20 replies and then it would give you a link back to the thread titled "Click here to review thread", sadly we don't seem to have that feature now, but I could be wrong.
Posted By: pauluk Re: New Features Primer - 03/29/07 10:48 AM
Originally Posted by Webmaster

No problem with it as set at the moment. The quote box just reformats to fit the post window, whether the left-hand column is on or off.

As Bill and other mods. will know, I played around with photos to see the effect a couple of weeks ago. When a photo exceeds the message-window width you'll get a scroll bar at the bottom of that post only, not to scroll the whole screen as would happen with the old software.

If you're using 800x600 resolution, I would suggest turning off the left-hand column so that more width is available for photos, otherwise images of 500 pixels or so are likely to result in horizontal scrolling.
Posted By: Ann Brush Re: New Features Primer - 03/30/07 08:53 PM
Originally Posted by e57

But- Just one little thing.... Do you think there might be some, ah... Don't take this the wrong way, but some more masculine looking smilies available? blush

Now why would we want to do that - I think it's masculine enough.
Posted By: Trumpy Re: New Features Primer - 04/08/07 05:44 AM
I want smilies with whiskers, eating steaks from a BBQ and drinking Man's beer.
Just kidding dear.
Good Lord, haven't we been de-nounced as men!.
Posted By: Alan Belson Re: New Features Primer - 04/12/07 07:45 PM
In the 'Who's Online' box, what's the meaning of "invisible" and "anonymous"?

Alan
Posted By: Admin Re: New Features Primer - 04/12/07 07:49 PM
Originally Posted by Alan Belson
In the 'Who's Online' box, what's the meaning of "invisible" and "anonymous"?

Alan
Alan,

"Invisible" is someone who does not want to be seen and "anonymous" is someone who is either not a Member, or not logged in.

Bill
Posted By: walrus Re: New Features Primer - 04/17/07 10:21 AM
Bill
On other boards that I post on, they give you a grace period after posting to go back and edit spelling or other mistakes. You can edit mistakes in the first couple of minutes after posting without the edit stamp coming up on your post. Any chance of that on here??
Posted By: Admin Re: New Features Primer - 04/17/07 01:06 PM
Originally Posted by walrus
Bill
On other boards that I post on, they give you a grace period after posting to go back and edit spelling or other mistakes. You can edit mistakes in the first couple of minutes after posting without the edit stamp coming up on your post. Any chance of that on here??
walrus,

It's already here and currently set at 12 min.

Bill
Posted By: walrus Re: New Features Primer - 04/18/07 09:53 AM
Bill
If you look in the Flooded on Tax day thread, you'll see I made a post at 6.15, saw a spelling error, went in at 6.16, corrected it and it left a Edit mark?? Is it working correctly??
Posted By: Admin Re: New Features Primer - 04/18/07 01:31 PM
Originally Posted by walrus
Bill
If you look in the Flooded on Tax day thread, you'll see I made a post at 6.15, saw a spelling error, went in at 6.16, corrected it and it left a Edit mark?? Is it working correctly??
walrus,

When you make the edit there is an option to leave a mark or not. There is also a choice to leave a signature (if you have one).

By default it is set to leave the mark, you'd have to select not to.

Bill
Posted By: walrus Re: New Features Primer - 04/19/07 09:43 AM
Bill
Thanks, guess I should look closer, smile
Posted By: Admin Re: New Features Primer - 04/19/07 07:40 PM
You would not believe some of the things I miss ... whistle

Bill
smile
Posted By: Theelectrikid Re: New Features Primer - 07/30/07 07:13 PM
Hmm, don't know if anyone noticed this but, we now have RSS on the individual forums (IE General, Business etc.)

Ian A.
Posted By: Trumpy Re: New Features Primer - 07/31/07 02:03 AM
Originally Posted by Theelectrikid
Hmm, don't know if anyone noticed this but, we now have RSS on the individual forums (IE General, Business etc.)

Ian A.

Where did you see that Ian?. cool
Posted By: Gloria Re: New Features Primer - 09/16/07 06:00 PM
Hey, there's a birthday calendar! Wow!
Posted By: Trumpy Re: New Features Primer - 09/17/07 10:16 AM
Just a small question Bill,
Why does the "log-in automatically with each visit" option not work?
I've ticked it a number of times, but it seems to have no effect.
© ECN Electrical Forums