ECN Forum
Posted By: sparky TVSS question - 10/09/02 11:46 PM
I have a BV bb Q here that i cannot answer, any help appreciated...

It installs in a 1/2 inch KO in panelboard. It is connected to a two pole 20 amp circuit breaker. The service panel is: 200Amp., 120/240V, single phase. There are three conductors on the TVSS, two black and one green.
When looking through catalogs I've often seen the same type with two black, one white and one green conductor. I guess my question is: What is the difference if any.
Frank

~Steve
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: TVSS question - 10/09/02 11:59 PM
Sparky:
IF you are talking "Sentrex" TVSS, by Wiremold, they come in many flavors:
1 phase, 4 wire, 120/240 volt
3 phase, 5 wire (Y & Delta)
1 phase, 3 wire; 120/240 volt
3 phase, 4 wire;120/208Y
3 phase, 4 wire; 277/480 Y

Some have a neutral, some don't; all have grounds,to the best of my knowledge.
More info at Wiremold Website
(Damn, if I knew how to make a link, and where the "trademark" symbol is; oh well, I'm a 'lectrician, not a computer wiz)
John
Posted By: wolfdog Re: TVSS question - 10/10/02 03:58 AM
Panamx is designed for a 2 pole 240 volt breaker. They have two black wires and one green.

Maybe his is designed for 120 volt operation and protects two 120 volt lines.
Posted By: Scott35 Re: TVSS question - 10/10/02 07:09 AM
From the description, it sounds like a 240 VAC 1 Phase 2 wire TVSS device.
This would be connected via a 2 pole c/b.

Maybe the Person that posted this Q' could add some Specs from the TVSS device, such as System Voltage.

I am 90% [0.9] sure this would be used on a 200 - 240 VAC 1 Phase 2 Wire type system. Not sure how helpful it would be for 120/240 VAC 1 Phase 3 Wire systems, since there is no connection for the Grounded Noodle Conductor, but that's another story.
[Linked Image]

Scott S.E.T.

p.s. let me know if I guessed correctly, or failed the "Whaddaheck Is This TVSS Device" test.
Posted By: sparky Re: TVSS question - 10/10/02 10:56 AM
thannks guys;
i think i'll refer the individual to this thread, maybe then we can be more specific
[Linked Image]
Posted By: JBD Re: TVSS question - 10/10/02 02:08 PM
The number of wires indicate what type of protection you will have.

Line to Line, and Line to Ground - multiple blacks and a green only
Line to Neutral(noodle) and Line to Ground - 1 black, 1 white, and 1 green
Line to Line, Line(s) to Neutral, Line(s) to Ground - multiple blacks, 1 white, and 1 green
Posted By: Frank Cinker Re: TVSS question - 10/10/02 09:44 PM
My electrical service is: 120/240V, 3W, single phase, 200 amps.
It sounds as if I should of purchased a TVSS with 2 black wires, one white and one green instead of 2 black wires and one green. Actually I grabbed the last one on the shelf at Home Depot. I didn't bother to even look at it until I got home. I assumed all TVSS came with a white (neutral) conductor.
The instructions indicated that a 15 amp 2 pole CB was necessary, which I did install.
I assume I don't have line to neutal protection.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: TVSS question - 10/11/02 12:26 AM
Frank:
IMHO, you do not have line to neutral (120 volt) protection. You have 240 volt, phase to phase protection. You could put it back in the box, & take it back to the orange apron store, like a lot of people do. They usually don't check to careful. It goes back on the shelf, and someone else "gets it".
There's a lot of "used" stuff that gets back on the shelves.

John
Posted By: Frank Cinker Re: TVSS question - 10/11/02 10:19 AM
John-
That's kind of what I thought. Thanks for the information. I'll return it this weekend and get the proper TVSS.
Frank
Posted By: tdhorne Re: TVSS question - 10/11/02 04:09 PM
Frank

The TVSS with only three conductors is suitable for use in service equipment as the grounded conductors (neutrals) and the Equipment Grounding Conductors are all attached to the Grounding Electrode Conductor at that point. Since the neutral and EGCs are common in service equipment there is no need for two conductors and two sets of MOVS in the service equipment. In panel that was not service equipment the grounded buss and the grounded conductor buss bar would be separate and one lead to connect each to the TVSS would be needed.
--
Tom
Posted By: wolfdog Re: TVSS question - 10/12/02 04:06 AM
Well dang Tom, that's what I meant to say.
Posted By: sparky Re: TVSS question - 10/13/02 07:02 PM
so, this would essentially be the jist of 285.12(C)......

C) Connection Between Conductors. A TVSS shall be permitted to be connected between any two conductors — ungrounded conductor(s), grounded conductor, grounding conductor. The grounded conductor and the grounding conductor shall be interconnected only by the normal operation of the TVSS during a surge

correct me if i am wrong here, according to this there should be , at least for 1 ph panels, TVSS w/ a third white wire, or a TVSS with a third white, and forth green ? [Linked Image]
© ECN Electrical Forums