ECN Forum
Posted By: sparky sparky discovers fire.... - 10/07/02 11:32 PM
i get these service lateral jobs out in the puckerbrush here. i mean out there enough so i'll ask permission to hunt it.
[Linked Image]
my usual gig is the genny & a hot box for pvc, alas my genny crapped out today, with the excavator waiting @ $$$$ per hr
[Linked Image]
long story short, the quickest fix was to use one of those heat wands the roofers use to clear ice dams.

fed by my barbQ gas bottle this bent up pvc quite efficently. of course i had to roast a few to get the right distance/flame/timing of it all

anyhow...
i don't suppose i'm the first here to stumble upon the divine revelation of fire.
Posted By: Nick Re: sparky discovers fire.... - 10/08/02 01:49 AM
Sparky,
We have used these for years. They are much faster than hot boxes. In fact I never even order out the small hot boxes. Once one learns control over the flame you can't beat it for speed. Another + is you don't need power to run it and any size PVC is fair game. When running multiple smaller conduits I have heated half a dozen at a time. Get yourself one and toss the hot box!
Posted By: Bjarney Re: sparky discovers fire.... - 10/08/02 03:39 AM
One trick that sounds good but doesn't work is using a steam cleaner.

A ranch-supply weed burner is probably similar in heat output to the roofer's tool.

[It may be good for drying wet kitty cats, but isn’t worth the time to try to dry gym socks in the microwave over.]
Posted By: nesparky Re: sparky discovers fire.... - 10/08/02 04:10 AM
Has anyone tried this product?
www.hotbend.com
I have seen the video they put out but have not actually used the bender. Wonder if it's worth the money?

[This message has been edited by nesparky (edited 10-08-2002).]
Posted By: txsparky Re: sparky discovers fire.... - 10/08/02 04:20 AM
I've used an Ideal Heat Shrink Gun that was kinda slow,but did the job.(Worked better if the ends of pipe were duct taped to help hold in the heat)I have also seen guys use the exhaust pipe on their truck with limited success
Posted By: sparky Re: sparky discovers fire.... - 10/08/02 10:46 AM
oh, i'm sold Nick,
i just need a little practice ...

nesparky,
yeah you can get the video from the site, $700 for the little gem.
[Linked Image from hotbend.com]

i went to the local gas co & dropped $50 on the wand i used... [Linked Image]

i'm rather taken by the shear simplicity !
man~pipe~fire.....go figger!
[Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by sparky (edited 10-08-2002).]
Posted By: Bjarney Re: sparky discovers fire.... - 10/08/02 01:58 PM
Folks, don’t be fooled. The “Bend-O-Hot” is really a Cook-Rite Super Industrial baloney roaster. Look closely at the red handle—a dead giveaway. ;-)

[This message has been edited by Bjarney (edited 10-08-2002).]
Posted By: Nick Re: sparky discovers fire.... - 10/09/02 02:43 AM
I was looking through some pictures today to see if I had one showing the bottles and wands we use. I was mostly unsuccessful. However, in this PIC you can see the hose and part of the handle! Anyway, I posted this to share some more tools of the trade. The little red saw you see is a Milwaukee metal cutting saw. It make short work out of small PVC. Cuts the big stuff too but you have to turn it a couple of times and it's hard to get a straight cut.(It is fantastic on metal too!) For the big stuff I always use a chop saw with either a carbon or metal cutting blade. Makes a perfectly straight cut and is VERY fast. The best place for those old hand PVC saws is in the trash bin. If you are in a spot where one of these won't fit, cutting with layout line is faster.

PS: Sparky- Not highjacking, just sharing. [Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by Webmaster (edited 10-08-2002).]
Posted By: elecbob Re: sparky discovers fire.... - 10/09/02 04:53 AM
http://www.hotbend.com/Index1.htm
I don't know if she's licensed or not but I'm sure she's good at straightening (rather than bending) electrician's conduits.
Posted By: Admin Re: sparky discovers fire.... - 10/17/02 04:39 AM
[Linked Image]
Here is a picture of one of the torches we use here at the railroad. Works real well to warm up pvc, the time between flexible and burnt is about 30 seconds. [Linked Image]

The torch delivers about 1,100,000 btu's per hour. We use 5 of these when we are making boiler parts.

Trainwire
Posted By: Bjarney Re: sparky discovers fire.... - 10/17/02 08:47 PM
Now that'll be perfect the next time I have to run 24-inch pipe{!} ;-)
Posted By: Bjarney Re: sparky discovers fire.... - 10/17/02 08:56 PM
One more question TW...Is the snow that deep to cover all the shop windows, or did you guys just fool us by shoveling a little to make it look that way?
Posted By: Trainwire Re: sparky discovers fire.... - 10/18/02 01:11 AM
I think you are seeing the reflection of the other 4 of those torches. The windows actually open up into another shop. The building the picture was taken in was built onto the side of the original building.

TW
Posted By: sparky Re: sparky discovers fire.... - 10/18/02 01:32 AM
I bent 6" sch 40 , sort of like wrestling an aligator when hot, muddy ditch and all....but i'm happy 'cause i've a new toy! [Linked Image]
Posted By: Bjarney Re: sparky discovers fire.... - 10/18/02 09:41 PM
TW, is a gas torch of that size still called a "rosebud"?

{Forgive me—I was joking about the shop windows and snow.}
Posted By: electure Re: sparky discovers fire.... - 10/18/02 11:19 PM
Try using your EMT/GRC bender up to 1".
On larger PVC, use prebent (we've got a supplier with a 1/2 hr leadtime) or factory pieces w/couplings.
Those "torch jobs"; even the ones that look the best...won't usually mandrel...S
Posted By: Nick Re: sparky discovers fire.... - 10/19/02 02:24 AM
Good point Scott. I never heat utility runs. with any PVC heater!
Posted By: Trainwire Re: sparky discovers fire.... - 10/19/02 11:18 AM
BJ, I don't know for sure, we just call them the "big torches". They are pretty spectacular to light. 8-10 feet of this yellow flame, until you get the oxygen wound into them. We have two 1000 gallon propane tanks in the back to feed these things. They have to be that big in order to be able to evaporate propane fast enough and not freeze.

TW
Posted By: Bjarney Re: sparky discovers fire.... - 10/19/02 11:27 PM
TW — Hank Hill over at Strickland Propane in Arlen, Texas would like you to know that he prays daily for you, your fellow tradesmen and your family.

[This message has been edited by Bjarney (edited 10-19-2002).]
Posted By: Trainwire Re: sparky discovers fire.... - 10/19/02 11:39 PM
BJ, well thanks, I appreciate that. This is a great job to be in if you are fascinated by fire [Linked Image]
TW
© ECN Electrical Forums