ECN Forum
I am rewiring an old barn complete with milking parlor,it is kind of unique,with the smells,cow, chicken,goat and bat crap, etc.
The owner wants me to install outdoor fixtures over several of the barn doors.He wants the old style,12 or 14 inch green shade on the top ,white inside,single incandescent bulb that hangs or mounts on the vertical wall by means of a metal pipe conduit.
I have looked at the local electrical suppliers(small town)but could not find what the owner wants.Any suggestions?
Chris
( ah...that 'farm' smell... [Linked Image]

Chris,
it may be hard to find something antiquated that would pass 547.8......
Those type fixtures are still available.
I see them all the time at themed restaraunts such as Steakhouses.(new construction) You will probably have to search lighting specialty store catalogs to find what your looking for.
Sparky,
I left my latest NEC in Fl.Is the incandescent bulb the issue with 547.8?
Chris
547.8 deals with (A)entrance of dust, (B) protection from physical damage, and (C) exposed to water.
Don't know of any open bulb fixtures that would meet those requirements
Chris you're looking for a RLM fixture. Go to www.baselite.com or www.abolite.com

[This message has been edited by arseegee (edited 10-02-2002).]
Chris:
Hubbel Lighting has a fixture that will suit your needs.
Once upon a time it was in the WW Grainger catalog, I don't know if it still is.
You can access Hubbel Lighting on the net.
John
Smoot-Holman and Benjamin were US manufacturers of these. I do not know if either is still in business.

A term for this construction is "porcelain glazed."

[This message has been edited by Bjarney (edited 10-02-2002).]
Posted By: TE Re: Where can I find a old style light fixture? - 10/03/02 10:38 AM
Try Rejuvenation Lighting / San Francisco
good links arseegee, this looks like a fashion/function compromise....
[Linked Image from baselite.com]

Chris, here it it..

547.8 Luminaires (Lighting Fixtures).
Luminaires (lighting fixtures) shall comply with the following.
(A) Minimize the Entrance of Dust. Luminaires (lighting fixtures) shall be installed to minimize the entrance of dust, foreign matter, moisture, and corrosive material.
(B) Exposed to Physical Damage. Any luminaire (lighting fixture) that may be exposed to physical damage shall be protected by a suitable guard.
(C) Exposed to Water. A luminaire (fixture) that may be exposed to water from condensation, building cleansing water, or solution shall be watertight.
Thanks to one and all for your prompt and helpfull replies.
Sparky,It looks like 547.8 applies to the barn interior,although it would be a good idea to apply it to outdoor luminaires as well.
Chris
www.lightsearch.com
Great source for...well...lights.

Good luck
Sparky, we are putting in over 80 of those Baselite vapor jar fixtures and 15 outdoor RLMs in a seafood restaurant right now. They are vey nice but not very cheap.
Posted By: rowd Re: Where can I find a old style light fixture? - 10/04/02 12:07 AM
try here for some great vintage and reproduction lights. http://www.rejuvenation.com/
© ECN Electrical Forums