ECN Forum
Posted By: electrician02125 Hiring an electrical engineer - 10/02/02 02:14 PM
Hello,

I am on a search committee to hire a new electrical engineer for my facility.

I am drafting a list of appropriate questions for the potential candidate.

Any suggestions?
Posted By: Pearlfish Re: Hiring an electrical engineer - 10/02/02 02:18 PM
Question #1: You have a bolt, a lock washer, a flat washer, and a nut. What order do you assemble these in?

True story, I've seen this situation stump an IEEE.
Posted By: JBD Re: Hiring an electrical engineer - 10/02/02 05:26 PM
It depends on what you want the EE to do?
Not all electrical engineers have the same training. Just like doctors they usually have a specialty.

If you are interested in plant construction and facility maintenance, I would ask about codes and practices.
If you want production machines to be kept running, then go for troubleshooting techniques and knowledge of related fields (i.e. hydraulics and pnuematics).
If you care about computers and networks then focus on electronics and software.
Posted By: electrician02125 Re: Hiring an electrical engineer - 10/02/02 05:32 PM
Constructioon and Facilities maintenance will be the majority of this persons responsibilities.

Thanks for pointing that out.
Posted By: Ron Re: Hiring an electrical engineer - 10/02/02 06:03 PM
You might ask them to describe in detail their recent projects.
For critical production, you might ask some questions regarding short circuit studies and application of AIC ratings.
Overcurrent protection coordination studies.
I would avoid questions that the EE will not be involved in, like how to assemble a bolt, a lock washer, a flat washer, and a nut. I'm sure you have plenty of hands on folks that can handle that.
Posted By: Joe Tedesco Re: Hiring an electrical engineer - 10/02/02 06:44 PM
Some really good suggestions here. I would add some questions, if the NEC will be used, as to what https://www.electrical-contractor.net/ubb/Forum2/HTML/000606.html
this thread discusses.
Posted By: SJT Re: Hiring an electrical engineer - 10/02/02 06:50 PM
I've met and talked to some licensed Electricians who really knew their stuff. It's a rare find that an Electrician will be both Licensed and carry a P.E. (engineering degree).
Some one like that is worth their weight in gold. On the other hand a good electrician can
do calculations and solve most plant problems.
Posted By: Chris Rudolph Re: Hiring an electrical engineer - 10/02/02 09:14 PM
I have the impression that this EE will be responsible for design as well as installation and maintenance,that being the case I would require that he have his PE license so he can seal/approve the design drawings.I am also a firm beleiver that the EE should be responsible for the installation and testing of the design,thus I would expect him to know the order of the bolt, lock washer, flat washer and nut.
Just my opinion of course.
Chris
Posted By: electrician02125 Re: Hiring an electrical engineer - 10/02/02 10:31 PM
This EE will in fact be reporting to our existing PE.

she/he will be responsible for design and construction as well as maintenance.
Posted By: nesparky Re: Hiring an electrical engineer - 10/03/02 12:20 AM
Ask them to bring some samples of designs they have done. Then ask them to do a take off of the drawing you pick from the samples.
You will find out if they have any real world experience fairly quickly. Too many EEs in design firms have no real construction experience. Those EEs usally tell you "It's a field proplem" when you ask questions during a project. That is NOT something you want in a plant setting.
Posted By: Bjarney Re: Hiring an electrical engineer - 10/03/02 01:38 AM
Be prepared to offer pay amd benefits adequate to hire a quailfied person away from a competitor. The decent ones have plenty of work.

[This message has been edited by Bjarney (edited 10-02-2002).]
© ECN Electrical Forums