ECN Forum
Posted By: fibes Tool Belts - 09/20/02 04:03 AM
I need a good tool belt and would like to know the difference between a leather pouch and belt, and a cordura belt and pouch. What are the pros and cons between the two? And what brand would you suggest? Thanks.
Posted By: amp-man Re: Tool Belts - 09/20/02 05:37 AM
Diamondback, out of San Francisco.

They have a set that's incredibly well designed for electricians. Pocket for Wiggy, pouches for wirenuts, just enough room for tools.

If I didn't have the D'backs, I'd try the new Klein bags.

I used to use leather, but I needed more space and I wanted more parts pouches than I could get with a leather tool pouch and a separate leather or nylon bag.

One set up that I haven't tried but looks good is a vest or shoulder yoke that tool pouches hang off of. Weight's off your waist. Made by Skillers, sold by duluth trading company. Find 'em on the web.

All $$$, but worth it.

Cliff
Posted By: sparky Re: Tool Belts - 09/20/02 09:51 AM
i suppose it's only a matter of time.......klien will come out with a backpack ......apprentices will then look like sherpas.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: spkjpr Re: Tool Belts - 09/20/02 01:11 PM
Sparky, don't laugh but I saw some backpack tool carriers in the new Techni-tool catalog.
Posted By: ElectricAL Re: Tool Belts - 09/20/02 02:07 PM
Cliff,

I'll second the suggestion of the Skillers workvest system . I got my first one back in the late '80s. I'm using my third, now. I've upgraded as the features and capabilities evolved. This current system is the bee's knees, as far as I'm concerned.

Al
Posted By: fibes Re: Tool Belts - 09/20/02 05:01 PM
Does Diamondback have a website? I can't find any information on them. I even tried the San Francisco yellow pages. Where can they be purchased.
Thanks.
Posted By: CanadianSparky Re: Tool Belts - 09/20/02 11:25 PM
I'm on my second Klein Cordura pouch, wore the first one out in about 3 yrs. It sucked having to buy a new pouch but the belt and everything else lasted. But they're just too good to go back to a leather pouch.
Posted By: caselec Re: Tool Belts - 09/21/02 02:28 AM
fibes - Try this link: http://www.diamondbackusa.com/

Look here too: http://www.occidentalleather.com/
Posted By: Bjarney Re: Tool Belts - 09/22/02 03:59 AM
Diamond Back (world's gnarleyest tool belts...) can also be reached at 800 899-2358, or alternately, go to www.toolbelts.com

They are in Greeley Hill now—about 120 miles east of SF.

www.toolbelts.com/electool.htm {Hint hint, wink wink.}

[This message has been edited by Bjarney (edited 09-22-2002).]
© ECN Electrical Forums