ECN Forum
Posted By: Redsy How much (jacket) is too much? - 09/10/02 10:52 AM
I have seen panel changeouts where the new panel was much taller, but the installer just pulled the NM cable back into the new panel without removing any additional jacket. Sometimes this can mean more than 12" of jacket in the panel. Other than looking bad, I can't think of any reason to complain (not that I need much of a reason to complain, anyway!). I read a book about inspecting residential electrical systems, and there was reference to excessive combustible material (the paper inside the NM?) in the panel in these cases.
Any other thoughts?
Posted By: sparky66wv Re: How much (jacket) is too much? - 09/10/02 10:59 AM
Reminds me of one of my first jobs as an apprentice where I helped my boss pull out about a bushel of excess wire in a sub-panel.

I leave about 2 to 4" of the jacket myself, and use about a 3" piece of jacket to label the circuit on.
Posted By: wirewiz Re: How much (jacket) is too much? - 09/10/02 02:26 PM
When I first got into the trade I was told that you couldn't leave an excessive amount of the outer jacket because the jacket covering the wire in the panel or in conduit could cause the wire to over heat. So to this day I leave about an inch of the jacket.
Wirewiz
Posted By: TE Re: How much (jacket) is too much? - 09/11/02 06:55 AM
As I see it this falls under the least enforced NEC violation nationwide, which if enforced would eliminate most of the hacks
you have to try and compete with.

"installed in a neat and workmanlike manner"
Posted By: Tom Re: How much (jacket) is too much? - 09/11/02 08:58 PM
I think the reasons that "neat & workmanlike" are rarely enforced is that there is no definition of it and "neat & workmanlike" doesn't belong in the NEC to begin with (no flames please, just explain how a job that is code compliant is unsafe because of neatness, see 90.1(A))

I usually go with about 1/4", for no other reason then that is what the first journeyman I worked for told me.

Tom
Posted By: sparky Re: How much (jacket) is too much? - 09/12/02 12:04 AM
i've always aspired to the neat apperance of the panels advertised in the trade mags....
Posted By: ThinkGood Re: How much (jacket) is too much? - 09/12/02 06:02 PM
NEC sec. 370-17c - Minimum 1/4, maximum 1 inch?
Posted By: sparky Re: How much (jacket) is too much? - 09/13/02 12:59 AM
'inch' ? , but we're an 'international' NEC now .....
Posted By: sparky66wv Re: How much (jacket) is too much? - 09/13/02 01:27 AM
My '99s loaned out to a possible future-apprentice...

What is 370-17c in the 2002 NEC?
Posted By: Redsy Re: How much (jacket) is too much? - 09/13/02 04:29 PM
Thinkgood,

Thanks, but I must be missing the 1" part. Where did you find it?
Posted By: WARREN1 Re: How much (jacket) is too much? - 09/13/02 04:50 PM
Sparky66wv
Look in 314-17(C). Art. 370 was moved to 314. But I haven't a clue as to why.
Posted By: sparky66wv Re: How much (jacket) is too much? - 09/13/02 06:38 PM
Keep in mind that 314.17(C) '02 NEC and 370-17(c) of the 99 NEC (I assume) pertains to NM boxes and conduit bodies.

There is no minimum for metal boxes, contrary to our common sense.

Yeah, where'd ya get the 1"? Just personal policy?

[This message has been edited by sparky66wv (edited 09-13-2002).]
© ECN Electrical Forums