ECN Forum
Posted By: jlhmaint GB circuit tracker, - 09/08/02 06:07 PM
has anyone used a GB circuit tracker, circuit breaker locator. Plug into receptacle and go to panel and run probe down and it is supposed to indicate which breaker is for the recp. i have been thinking of buying one so i did today and was wondering if any one else had used them and what they thought. also bought a klien conduit screwdriver/reamer something else i have wanted for a while.
Posted By: purecntry Re: GB circuit tracker, - 09/08/02 10:20 PM
I got to use my circuit tracker last week for the first time , I was impressed with it
it tracked an outlet through a sub panel back to the main panel correctly
Posted By: Mike_Riverside Re: GB circuit tracker, - 09/08/02 11:23 PM
i have one (it is made by GB also), it works great for residential, but i havn't had good luck with commercial.
Posted By: harold endean Re: GB circuit tracker, - 09/09/02 12:31 AM
When I was in contracting, I had the Amprobe or Paser Tracers. They worked great however when I bought them back in '85 they were about $500 a piece. One was for dead circuits and one was for live circuits. I sold them both when I went out of busines. Now I have the GB small res. style of circuit tracers. It works well for me at my own house.
Posted By: jlhmaint Re: GB circuit tracker, - 09/09/02 12:52 AM
i work in a factory hope it works out ok, iam going to try it out on some tommorrow, i will post back when i get off work.
Posted By: arseegee Re: GB circuit tracker, - 09/09/02 01:04 AM
I own both the GB and the Pasar. The GB is not quite as accurate as the amprobe but it works ok. It's not fool-proof though so be careful of false readings. The Pasar is the best but you better get out your wallet.
Posted By: donles Re: GB circuit tracker, - 09/09/02 12:17 PM
I've been looking at them also. Greenlee, AEMC, Amprobe, Ideal...I can't decide which one without hearing other's opinions.

I bought the Klein reamer, too. Maybe it's me but I don't think it works that great. Not enough clearance to get it into cut emt.
Don
Posted By: jlhmaint Re: GB circuit tracker, - 09/10/02 01:42 AM
well i tried out the GB circuit tracker tonight and it worked good, i pluged it into several outlets through out the shop and i was able to locate the breaker it does pick up alot of interfearence up by the main breaker. as for the klien reamer i tried it on a pcs of conduit we had laying around and it didn't work as expected will take some getting used to or breaking in.
Posted By: spkjpr Re: GB circuit tracker, - 09/10/02 01:46 AM
jlh, the Klein conduit reamer does need some break-in time. Also if there is a burr on the conduit from the hacksaw it will hong up on it, don't give up on it though I use one regulary. The GB tracer works OK but sometimes does fool one about which breaker to shut off.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: GB circuit tracker, - 09/10/02 03:25 AM
jlhmaint,
How much was the GB unit? I got a cheapo Sperry for $30 just so I wouldn't be flipping so many breakers what with everyone having computers and all these days. I was really surprised it works as good as it says it would. You can also trace the circuit in the wall as long as it is hot.
Posted By: sparky66wv Re: GB circuit tracker, - 09/10/02 05:11 AM
I've got one of the cheapo sperry's too, once you figure out what it can and can't do, it becomes an indespensible tool.

Mine has given me odd (false) signals when lots of electronic equipment are present, but only in a couple of isolated cases.
Posted By: jlhmaint Re: GB circuit tracker, - 09/10/02 12:54 PM
Brian it is also $30, does what i want it to do like you said with the offices and computers it helps.

spkjrp, i was wondering if it just needs to get used some so the reamer would break in

thanks guys.
© ECN Electrical Forums