ECN Forum
Posted By: electure Safety for DIY's-Bob's BB - 09/07/02 01:11 AM
A real neat thing has happened!
Looks like Joe's the Moderator, & has cleaned out the dangerous and crazy posts in the Bob Vila Bulletin Board.
I think it's a good day for DIY.
Posted By: Electricmanscott Re: Safety for DIY's-Bob's BB - 09/07/02 10:55 AM
Ok I will play devils advocate here. I have been very clear on my thoughts about diy's. Not all, just the ones who make it painfully clear they are in over their heads. There are people who do not have a problem with diy's and as such are willing to help. Which brings me to my question. If Joe deletes a post that may appear to be a foolish or dangerous question, does this create a more dangerous situation in that the person gets no advice directing them to a safe solution? (Ie call a pro, or try this it will work better) Also while I can certainly do without general insults and obvious attemps at disruption I have a SERIOUS problem with censorship. I am somewhat squirmish about one person deciding what they may feel is unneccesary or might be offensive to people. I mean this not as a slam towards Joe it is just my opinon.
Posted By: Joe Tedesco Re: Safety for DIY's-Bob's BB - 09/07/02 11:35 AM
Believe me, I was careful when I deleted a post or thread, and it was for a good reason.

I am slowly going to transform that board into something we can all be proud of, you can be sure of that!

When I found a message that was over four years old that had only one reply, and it asked about the position of the U ground what do you think I did?

If you have visited that location recently, you will see a little less traffic, but a lot of information some of which we can use as well.

Please, don't be afraid to continue to add messages there. If you have suggestions or any problems please let me know.

PS: What should I do with this one? http://www.bobvila.com/ultimate/Forum7/HTML/000345.html

[This message has been edited by Joe Tedesco (edited 09-07-2002).]
Posted By: Jim M Re: Safety for DIY's-Bob's BB - 09/07/02 02:21 PM
Joe, I think those replies are appropriate and warn of the dangers involved.

Maybe you would like to take on another board. www.handymanwire.com. Go to ask the experts and then the electrical board. Sorry I don't know how to add a link. This guy Denis, quotes Code that doesn't apply, or tells people that aren't qualified how to do service changes. If called on an answer he will edit your post to make you look like the idiot. So much for quality help. One of his recent posts "This is what UF and NM cable is insulated with .THHN -THWN...but not intended for conduit install.No cable is...no solid is"

due to the stresses involved. Huh?, no solid in conduit? OK where do you use solid?Whenever I install conduit it's with consideration to avoid this stress.

[This message has been edited by Jim M (edited 09-07-2002).]
Posted By: Electric Eagle Re: Safety for DIY's-Bob's BB - 09/07/02 02:47 PM
Jim,
I just looked at Handymanwire.com and have to agree with you, it's worse than Bob V's site. In one post a guy recomends using a 50 amp breaker for a 3600watt/240v range. [Linked Image]
I don't think Joe has enough time to moderate every board and I really don't know what the solution is.
Posted By: Joe Tedesco Re: Safety for DIY's-Bob's BB - 09/07/02 03:41 PM
Thanks!

[This message has been edited by Joe Tedesco (edited 09-10-2002).]
Posted By: pauluk Re: Safety for DIY's-Bob's BB - 09/07/02 03:44 PM
Tough call sometimes, Joe, and I don't envy your position trying to decide what stays and what goes.

On the quoted thread, I don't see anything which would encourage someone to get in over his head. On the contrary, if just one person sees that old thread, realizes that he is in the same position, and gets expert help before he fries himself or burns his house down, then it's served a useful purpose in remaining.

I'm still firmly of the opinion that when it comes to giving DIY advice there is no set rule and we just have to assess each case on its own merits.

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 09-07-2002).]
Posted By: txsparky Re: Safety for DIY's-Bob's BB - 09/07/02 05:50 PM
All of the diy boards seem to have problems.On the TV station DIY,they were showing how to install an undercounter flourescent fixture:cut the plug off of the end of the cord and fish it down the wallinto a countertop receptacle and tie it in ; Can you believe they televised it???The instructions are also on their website;diynet.com
Posted By: sparky Re: Safety for DIY's-Bob's BB - 09/08/02 12:37 AM
so many DIYer's, so little time eh?

seems like a 'wag the dog' scenario.....
Posted By: Bjarney Re: Safety for DIY's-Bob's BB - 09/08/02 03:04 AM
Joe — Re: b-v.com/..forum7/000345.html

"Holy chit!" Indeed. [The original poster received good advice by a guy signed electricmanscott.]
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Safety for DIY's-Bob's BB - 09/08/02 03:44 AM
I'd just like to mention that there are some DIY Websites that take a more responsible and safety-minded attitude toward Electrical work and associated hazards.

An Example >> Natural Handyman

Electrical Links Page

If you agree why don't you send him a comment. >> Comments

Bill

[This message has been edited by Bill Addiss (edited 09-07-2002).]
Posted By: Joe Tedesco Re: Safety for DIY's-Bob's BB - 09/08/02 03:49 AM
[Linked Image from themeterguy.com]

If I do it this way will it be OK and pass inspection, or must I cross the neutral$ ...?

[This message has been edited by Joe Tedesco (edited 09-07-2002).]
Posted By: Joule-E Re: Safety for DIY's-Bob's BB - 09/08/02 04:30 AM
What country was that photo from???!!!
Posted By: Texas_Ranger Re: Safety for DIY's-Bob's BB - 09/08/02 11:45 AM
Meter looks like a standard US type to me.
Posted By: Joe Tedesco Re: Safety for DIY's-Bob's BB - 09/08/02 06:22 PM
Joule-E

I am not sure where this picture was taken.

[This message has been edited by Joe Tedesco (edited 11-12-2002).]
Posted By: arseegee Re: Safety for DIY's-Bob's BB - 09/08/02 07:12 PM
If I catch you guys taking pictures in my backyard again, I'm gonna call the cops!
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Safety for DIY's-Bob's BB - 09/08/02 08:18 PM
It looks like an Ostrich Convention!

[Linked Image]
Bill
Posted By: pauluk Re: Safety for DIY's-Bob's BB - 09/08/02 08:49 PM
Hmm.... North American style meters and service drops, sort of, but the rest of the picture just doesn't look like it could be the U.S.A. to me.

My guess: Could it be somewhere in Central or South America?
Posted By: Hutch Re: Safety for DIY's-Bob's BB - 09/08/02 10:09 PM
Hill side, vegetation, and breeze-block architecture looks like Mexico - nice looking rocks [Linked Image]
Posted By: rmiell Re: Safety for DIY's-Bob's BB - 09/09/02 01:04 AM
I have a great idea, guys. How about one or two of you (us?) get on board at every different diy sites, as moderators? Why does Joe have to do it all? I don't know how Joe has time to do all he does now!!

I will look over a few I'm familiar with and try to sign up as moderator, if at all possible. I know most of the regulars on this board, and most post on Mike Holt's site as well, so some should be able to spare a few minutes a day helping out the needy, in order to keep the bad information from being spread.

Just a thought.

PS. Joe, I was wondering what happened to my post(s) at Bob Vila's. Now I know, and don't worry about those. I will try to check it daily, if for nothing more to help keep the threads alive!

Rick Miell
Posted By: George Re: Safety for DIY's-Bob's BB - 09/10/02 09:35 PM
A couple comments for Joe:

Most moderators are very cafeful about copyright violations. I noticed that you have posted links with essentially no commentary. That is regarded as a copyright violation by many laywers. The statue allows $150k plus costs for each violation. This is a nice source of income for those who care.

You give an extensive list of questions for DIYers. Most of them are not (should not be) relevant to DIYers.

In one of your posts you gave the minimum distance of a hole from a stud edge as 1-1/4" . That may be an NEC requirement. It does not meet all engineering requirements. It is easy to make mistakes in giving advice.

Finally, as a moderator it is best to not post any comments of your own except those that deal with the actions you are taking as a moderator, such as why a post was removed.
Posted By: Joe Tedesco Re: Safety for DIY's-Bob's BB - 09/11/02 12:38 AM
Rick:

The messages are where you posted them, just do a search for your name, and you'll find them.

I have deleted many old outdated posts, and those answered by one person, having all the time in the world to give opinions not related to the code, and actual trade practices.

George:

I wouldn't worry about what I am posting on the web, my pages have been on line for quite some time, and many use my images, and I have many links throughout the net and we are all aware of the issues you raise.

www.joetedesco.com

The quiz was one of the first I developed for combination inspectors in Pasadena, California in the early 80', and is in my book "Basic Checklists for Building Electrical Inspection"

I am surprised that you don't recognize them as simple questions, that I would expect anyone who is planning to install electrical wiring to answer.

In answer to your concerns for the dimension given, it is a well known rule we in the electrical industry are aware of for a long time.

I looked for information in your profile and you too don't provide any.

Are you an electrician, or engineer, or someone who is considered as a qualified person?

PS: I will delete any posts that are rude, vulgar, get off the subject, or those that are not correct.

Most of the questions, before I became moderator there were asked by one person who never came back, and most were answered by one or two persons, some of which are still on the board and some were closed because one answer is all that is needed when it comes to who should do the work, and those did warn the writer to hire an electrican.

I heard Bob Vila himself last Sunday say on his show "When it comes to wiring I always recommend staying away from life threating situations" Good advice!!

Look Here: Some power point files here that can be downloaded.

http://www.ieee-pcic.org/safety/2000_agenda_items/

[This message has been edited by Joe Tedesco (edited 09-10-2002).]
Posted By: spkjpr Re: Safety for DIY's-Bob's BB - 09/11/02 02:19 AM
On handymanwire it seems that if someone other than the moderator says to call an electrician the moderator just deletes the post.
© ECN Electrical Forums