ECN Forum
Posted By: smokey fiber optic lighting - 05/01/01 01:08 AM
i went on a service call to troubleshoot some fiber optic lighting. i was amazed at how expensive the replacement parts for fiber optics are. bulb-198.00 ballast- 900.00
Posted By: STEVE Re: fiber optic lighting - 05/05/01 03:06 AM
What kind of fixture was this and where was it used and for what. I think this field is going to expand like crazy soon. Fiber optic will be very common one day.
Take it easy
Steve- THOMPSON ELECTRIC

[This message has been edited by STEVE (edited 05-04-2001).]
Posted By: Alan McNeil Re: fiber optic lighting - 05/07/01 12:23 AM
Is a light bulb just a light bulb and a ballast just a ballast? Just because the light they produce is transmitted by some other means why should they be so expensive?
Posted By: SlamTex Re: fiber optic lighting - 05/09/01 02:57 AM
If you can get your hands on a "Lightolier" catalog, the older ones had a picture of some "fiber" that was done somewhere in Vegas.
This particular installation cost millions in parts, and labor. It had thousands of fibers that turned all the colors of the rainbow. It was one of the most beautiful lighiting installations that I have ever seen. Don't quote me on which catalog it was....Lightolier is the one that I think it was in. Maybe someone out there knows for sure.
Posted By: John Steinke Re: fiber optic lighting - 06/15/01 01:09 AM
FYI: Just did a job where a specialty contractor ran fiberoptics to light up a swimming pool. I would say that this greatly reduces the safety issues that arise when you install pool lights (The actual light source is nowhere near the pool!)
© ECN Electrical Forums