ECN Forum
Posted By: Frank Cinker Outdoor Hot Tub - 09/04/02 10:53 PM
Is GFCI protection required for an outdoor hot tub. According to NEC 680.42 it does not appear it's a requirement. It refers to compliance to Part one and Part two of article 680 ie. permanently installed pools.
Posted By: Tom Re: Outdoor Hot Tub - 09/04/02 11:47 PM
Frank,

Check out 680.44, this applies to all installations. If you have the handbook, see the comentary following this section.

Tom
Posted By: Frank Cinker Re: Outdoor Hot Tub - 09/05/02 11:49 AM
Thanks Tom, that was good information I overlooked.

The situation I'm inquiring about is as follows: Residential outdoor hot tub located on a deck. It will be hard wired without the use of receptacles. The unit does not include GFCI protection. NEC 680.42 states outdoor installations shall comply with parts one and two of article 680 ie. permanantly installed pools. Based on that, my opinion is that GFCI protection is not required. However, bonding is required.
I'm just not certain if I'm interpreting the section properly.

Frank
Posted By: Tom Re: Outdoor Hot Tub - 09/05/02 06:32 PM
IMO, 680.44 requires GFI protection for the your proposed installation.

The copy of the NEC that I have handy states that spa installations shall comply with parts I and IV, of which 680.44 is included.

The protection is required at the outlet (see definitions) & this doesn't matter if a receptacle is involved or not.

You might want to check into a Spa disconnect. These include a 50 amp GFI breaker in a NEMA 3R enclosure with separate neutral & equipment ground bus bars. Makes a neat job.

Tom
© ECN Electrical Forums