ECN Forum
Posted By: Joe Tedesco In 1901 Everyone was an Electrician! - 08/29/02 11:44 PM
[Linked Image]

From my collection. What can you add here?
Posted By: sparky Re: In 1901 Everyone was an Electrician! - 08/30/02 12:12 AM
only that even that much is not prerequisite here [Linked Image]
Hey that's the book I used!
Posted By: Bjarney Re: In 1901 Everyone was an Electrician! - 08/30/02 03:02 AM
Thomas Edison then and Tony Robbins now? The become-a-millionaire-electrician “Good Life” a century ago is like the current promise of cashing in on real estate by simply buying a newspaper and leveraging a couple of credit cards.

Somehow I can’t imagine infotainment on sandwich boards and silent movies.

Web was from spiders, not geeks on Jolt Cola and Doritos.
Posted By: gramps Re: In 1901 Everyone was an Electrician! - 08/30/02 10:13 AM
all those sparks and lightning bolts on the cover scares me!
[Linked Image]

ron
Posted By: Redsy Re: In 1901 Everyone was an Electrician! - 08/30/02 11:04 AM
Did someone buy that from Sally Struthers' great grandmother?
Posted By: SvenNYC Re: In 1901 Everyone was an Electrician! - 08/30/02 01:44 PM
Available for only three easy payments of only 5 cents!!
Posted By: circuit man Re: In 1901 Everyone was an Electrician! - 08/30/02 02:00 PM
[Linked Image]aw shucks! i thought it was in 3 payments of a penny ea.oh well back to work i go [Linked Image]
Posted By: Bjarney Re: In 1901 Everyone was an Electrician! - 08/30/02 03:21 PM
It was probably 2-3 bucks, but then, that money bought a number of loaves or bread.
Posted By: Joe Tedesco Re: In 1901 Everyone was an Electrician! - 08/30/02 05:21 PM
I just checked, and this book cost $1.00 in 1901.

It really is not what you think.

I will take some pictures of the content pages so you can get an idea of what I mean.
Posted By: Scott35 Re: In 1901 Everyone was an Electrician! - 09/02/02 07:00 PM
Hate to see the Companion Series:

"How To Become An Electrical Quack"

Or the one which must have been read by a lot of jokers I've had the misfortune to deal with when they find out I have some EE skills:

"How To Become An Eee-lekk-trik-ule In-jun-ear In 6 Easy Lessons"

On a serious note, does the Book have fair relavent value?

I have a few circa 1920's Manuals which are fairly informative! One for Electrical Power systems [covers the 3 wire DC systems quite well] and one for Radio [Even gets AM...joke]

Scott S.E.T.
Posted By: pauluk Re: In 1901 Everyone was an Electrician! - 09/02/02 07:41 PM
A lot of older text books put modern versions to shame in many respects.

I have a two-volume set "Telephony," published in 1948. They were considered for many years (decades) the definitive works on the technicalities of the British telephone system. In fact I only just recently acquired my own copies and had to pay £32 ($48) to get them! I have a similar volume which I've had for years which covers the British telex system.

I don't think there are any books to rival them these days for their in-depth coverage of audio transmission, relay design, etc.
Posted By: Trainwire Re: In 1901 Everyone was an Electrician! - 09/03/02 12:26 PM
I have my grandfathers books he got when He hired onto the railroad on the catenary gang in 1932. They put a lot of newer stuff to shame in the way they describe how things work, and why it's done that way.
Trainwire
© ECN Electrical Forums