ECN Forum
Posted By: pauluk Milwaukee drill - 08/22/02 09:34 PM
I've decided it's time to invest in a new drill, and thought I might get a Milwaukee unit sent over to me.

This kit looks a reasonable 3/8" hammer drill.

Anyone have any comments for or against Milwaukee drills?

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 08-22-2002).]
Posted By: sparky Re: Milwaukee drill - 08/22/02 09:42 PM
Paul,
i've the very same one.
i've abused it terribly for 6 years, and it's still around.
Posted By: sparky Re: Milwaukee drill - 08/22/02 09:49 PM
Paul, Porter Cable has been quite the competition for milwakee around here lately, i'm unsure why.....
[Linked Image from internationaltool.com]

I'm busy abusing this model here...

[Linked Image from internationaltool.com]
great for tight places, but has that S type drill chuck......rather exclusive

BTW,
it's refered to as the 'hamster drill' round my way.... [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by sparky (edited 08-22-2002).]
Posted By: CTwireman Re: Milwaukee drill - 08/22/02 10:08 PM
Paul-

A good choice. My Dad has that drill, and its 15+ years old.

A few questions come to mind. Is this available in 240 volt? Are there service centers/parts stores over there? Just out of curiosity, are American brand tools available there? I was watching Junkyard Wars the other night and they were using a De Walt grinder.
Posted By: Currently Re: Milwaukee drill - 08/22/02 10:22 PM
When I started buying tools over 30 years ago, I asked advice on buying tools from several tradesmen from my hometown. Almost to a man they all said Milwaukee was the way to go for the following reasons:
1. Parts and service are available all over North America.
2. They can be severely abused and keep running.
3. They use common parts that can be replaced. The Magnum series have replaceable/removable cords.

All of the Milwaukee's that I bought are still running. I have replaced cords, chucks and such to maintain them. I am not knocking the other brands such as Makita, DeWalt, or Porter Cable as I have some of those too. The problem I find with those is they change models and parts get hard to find. The Milwaukee's are heavy and robust.
Almost too heavy but I am willing to put up with that as I have never replaced one in the middle of a job. I don't like their cordless equipment but the AC powered equipment are worth the money.
Posted By: ChrisO Re: Milwaukee drill - 08/22/02 10:23 PM
I was watching Junkyard Wars the other night and they were using a De Walt grinder.

Have you seen the episode in which the grinder sent a spark into a lot of impact adhesive ?

Most DIY TV programs in the UK use Dewalt equipment and it's sold everywhere as is Black & Decker (Dewalts parent)

Chris
Posted By: CTwireman Re: Milwaukee drill - 08/22/02 11:04 PM
Thanks, Chris. No, didnt see that episode, but I can imagine what happened!
Posted By: George Corron Re: Milwaukee drill - 08/23/02 01:49 AM
Paul,
I've got 2 that are over 20 years old. Love that Milwaukee. BUT just replaced my B&D battery drills with Porter Cable, they've been around probably longer than B&D.

I can no longer get, or order parts for the old B&D's, seems like after 5 years, you're outta luck, which is why I would not buy a Dewalt either. There is a B&D repair shop 25 miles from me, said MAYBE they could get parts if I drove over they'd look, I really don't need that c@#p, so Porter Cable or Milwaukee it is.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Milwaukee drill - 08/23/02 02:42 AM
Paul:
First off Milwaukee tool are first rate.
A comment though:
If you are going to drill masonry with this tool exclusivly, have you ever tried a "rotary hammer drill" type.
We used Hilti hammer drills. I had a job that required 3000 masonry anchors in ceiling
for fluorescent channel fixtures, and 5k+ for conduit supports. The Hilti was heavy.
THe Bosch salesman stopped at the job, said "try this drill", it was light. Well, after about 10 min, I hunted him down, and bought three drills. ($285 ea +/-)

The tool does the work, you do not have to "push" like a regular drill.

(Bosch 11224 VSR) $249.00 WW Grainger
US model, 120 volt. Must be available in Europe, damn it's a German Company.

HotLine1
John
Posted By: pauluk Re: Milwaukee drill - 08/23/02 09:50 AM
Thanks for all the recommendations guys. I thought the Milwaukee stuff just looked solidly engineered and built (hey, they even still use a metal gear casing!).

I wouldn't want this one for a lot of masonry work, but it's handy to have the hammer facility just in case. I know Milwaukee does do 240V versions as I've seen them listed in the Jensen Tools catalog. I'll just go with American 120V though, as xfmrs are no problem.

DeWalt tools do seem to be quite popular here these days. I have only one DeWalt - a DW62 circular saw that I bought a few years ago (made in Slovenia, would you believe?).

By the way, a lot of the non-DIY-type tools are available in 240 and 110V versions here (the latter for commercial building sites). The British/European versions are fitted with different cord sets, but also some of them have different switches, suppressors, etc. to satisfy the various European approvals bodies instead of UL/CSA.

I still have a couple of older B&D drills at home, one about 15 to 20 and the other at least 30 years old. I'm not too keen on their modern range though.

Bosch and Makita are also quite popular.

Re spares, I know the problem. Trying to get any here generally means a 40-mile+ round-trip into the city, and that's if they have any in stock. No Milwaukee stuff here at all, but I'm sure I could get any spares sent from the States in less time and with less expense than it takes to chase parts down here. Crazy or what?!

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 08-23-2002).]
Posted By: Redsy Re: Milwaukee drill - 08/23/02 11:36 AM
HAve you considered a cordless hammer drill?
I just replaced a Black & Decker with a 1/2" Porter Cable. (about $190.00. )
If you are doing more service type work than construction, a cordless is great.
BTW,
I would avoid 3/8".

[This message has been edited by Redsy (edited 08-23-2002).]
Posted By: Texas_Ranger Re: Milwaukee drill - 08/23/02 11:49 AM
Rotary hammer drills are great for dealing with masonry and concrete. Most of them also have a chisel option so they can be used for channeling in walls. I bought a cheap one (O.K. brand, made somewhere in Asia, 40 Euro ($40),12 lbs, metal casing) After several weeks of working the switch went bad and couldn't be replaced. It hadn't worked too good before.
Then I bought a Bosch hammer for 149 Euro which is absolutely perfect.
Hilti is also known as everlasting here in Austria.

Our AEG drill has survived 30 years of hard use and is still in perfect order.
Posted By: spkjpr Re: Milwaukee drill - 08/23/02 01:58 PM
pauluk, I've been in institutional and industrial maintenance for 15 years and we have always used Milwaukee tools. They are tough as iron, trust me, we abuse them daily and they last forever. Very good choice.
Posted By: pauluk Re: Milwaukee drill - 08/23/02 09:51 PM
Redsy,
I've never been that keen on cordless tools. Just a personal preference thing I guess, but I prefer AC powered tools, even if it does sometimes mean dragging an extension cord into an awkward place!

Cost always seems an issue as well, when you figure in extra battery packs so that you won't be out of juice at an inopportune moment.

Thanks to all anyway -- It does seem the consensus that Milwaukee tools are a good choice.

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 08-23-2002).]
© ECN Electrical Forums