ECN Forum
Posted By: JBN1611 Electrical Engineering - 08/15/02 05:16 PM
Ok question. Can you just get an Associates Degree in Electrical Engineering? If so, what can you use it for?
Posted By: walrus Re: Electrical Engineering - 08/15/02 10:54 PM
At UMaine one can get a 2 yr(also a 4 year) degree in Electrical Eng. Technology. I'd assume its available other places. Engineering Technology is more hands on than Theoritical(sp?). I'd say its usefull for development of factory equipment, components, maintenance and other hands on type stuff.
Posted By: Currently Re: Electrical Engineering - 08/16/02 12:46 AM
Walrus,

The 2 year EET degree @ UMaine was discontinued 5 or so years ago. All degrees from the School of Engineering Technology are now 4 years.

Joe '99 UMaine
Posted By: maintenanceguy Re: Electrical Engineering - 08/16/02 01:00 AM
You can get an associates in engineering technology at several schools, even community colleges. And some will let you "specialize" in electrical. But it's not an engineering degree.

The eng-tech degrees are more practical application and much less math and theory.

These are often offered under "construction management" or something similar. It would be a method of entry as a mechanic at a factory, or as a clerk of the works or something similar in a construction company.
Posted By: spkjpr Re: Electrical Engineering - 08/16/02 01:25 AM
My degree is an A.A.S. IN Electronics Tech. It was a combination of light theory and hands-on. It is used by most of our industries as what they are looking for in their electricians. We do wiring, PLC, and troubleshooting. It is generally the highest level of electricians in the maintenance dept.
Posted By: aldav53 Re: Electrical Engineering - 08/16/02 06:16 AM
To be a top dog electrical engineer, you need a 4 year Bachelors degree. Big companies usually look at that ticket.
© ECN Electrical Forums