ECN Forum
It has come to my attention that some of the Houses being built out on Long Island are being framed with pressboard Lumber. I saw a small piece of 2x6 today. It is very dense and heavy. Has anyone had any experience working with this type of 'Lumber'??

Specifically, what type of Drill bits must be used? It seems to be burning up standard bits and drill motors. Can't use 'Nail-on' boxes or staples either. [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Bill
pressboard Lumber. Has anyone had any experience working with this type of 'Lumber'??

They use it in Idaho too. The stuff I worked with had knockouts. I didn't have to drill any of it.
Don'tknow,

What do you do about Boxes?
Do you use boxes with flanges?
what do you do for staples?

And if you do have to drill a hole? [Linked Image]

Bill
don'tknow;

that's the rafters or joists ( terms outta my trade here) , they have a 2x2" runner on the sides...
Bill's taking about the laminated stuff, kinda like the ends on those joists, only 2x4 etc...
It's gotta be made by evil elves at the lumber co
[Linked Image]
those 'sidestrap' boxes, sheet rock screws and the batt-drill!
try tiewraps , or stackers with screws
Sparky,

You look outta breath .. (joke) [Linked Image]
I think it's being used as the upright studs.

[Linked Image]
Bill
Sparky,

They make stackers with screws?

How about the metal fold-over clips like i've used omn metal studs?

Bill
Bill,
just trying to keep up with ya!

you gotta yank the nails for screws in the stackers ( don't know if they pedal that variation)
your rather left with only labor intensive methods.
can't say with the clips..

what kind of drill bits are you using? the self-feeders with the detatchable center spiral allow for quicker filing!
Sparky,

It's not me doin' it right now, but it could happen sooner or later. Some of the locals were asking about it at the seminar today. I thought I'd toss out a question and see if I could get some answers for them.

I'm not real sure what types they've tried. Hopefully they may join in at some point with specifics. What types have you used?

Bill
well.... i'm partial to the Milwalkee self-feed bits, they have a center spiral that is detatchable, and each bit is sold with two.

the fact that the center is removable lends to quicker shapening.

i use a right angle drill, makes for staighter overhead & knee level runs, yanks me around less than the hogs do.

i also have an older 10 hp 3/4" straight drill, which i'd probably bring to such a job if i really got my knickers in a knot, but it tends to wear me out quick, and sooner or later who takes who for a spin is usually in question

[Linked Image]
Sparky,

You're gettin' me Dizzy [Linked Image]

Thanks for the info. [Linked Image]

Bill
FYI:

DEAR MR. ADDISS,

WITH PRESSBOARD, I SUGGEST A BIT WITH A DEEP GULLET THAT WILL QUICKLY REMOVE THE DEBRIS, AND AT THE SAME TIME, A BIT THAT IS SHARP, BUT NOT SO AGGRESSIVE AS TO TEAR UP THE PRESSBOARD. WITH THAT BEING SAID, DEPENDING UPON THE DIAMETER OF THE HOLE, I'D SUGGEST HIGH SPEED STEEL BITS MADE BY TURBOMAX, OR A FORSTNER OR SELFEED BIT FOR LARGER HOLES. THESE SHOULD DO THE TRICK!

SINCERELY,

DEAN BARNETT, PRESIDENT
INTERNATIONAL TOOL CORPORATION

( http://www.internationaltool.com/ )

Thanks Dean
© ECN Electrical Forums