ECN Forum
Posted By: sparky wire that 'heals' - 08/10/02 01:36 AM
Sothwire's latest goodie on the market is wire that 'heals' itself,
go figure.... [Linked Image]

To demonstrate SureSealTM protection, testers at Southwire’s D.B. Cofer Technology Center subjected cables to high-voltage DC impulses. At 130kV, the insulation blew out. Half an hour later, the SureSealTM compound had sealed the hole and the same section of cable withstood impulses of well over 70kV.

Watt Doc ....u gotta hand in this?
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: wire that 'heals' - 08/10/02 02:06 AM
Sparky,

My "hybrid" (Red/White) UF was a Southwire product too, but I don't see it mentioned anywhere, so it's probably a Fluke.

Bill
Posted By: sparky Re: wire that 'heals' - 08/10/02 10:41 AM
Bill,
actually i had surfed looking for new colored nm due to your thread, and stumbled onto this.

do you suppose they could make a conductor that 'grows' an extar inch when needed?
[Linked Image]
Posted By: pauluk Re: wire that 'heals' - 08/10/02 11:29 AM
Maybe that red/white insulation automatically changes color to full white or red depending on whether you hook it up as a hot or a neutral. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: wire that 'heals' - 08/10/02 12:40 PM
Paul,

You got it!

Kinda like the "mood rings" of the '70s (or was it '60s?) [Linked Image]

Bill
Posted By: Bjarney Re: wire that 'heals' - 08/11/02 09:27 PM
Some time ago the "healing/de-shorting" characteristics of Hypalon insulation {CSPE, now?} made a vaguely similar claim, but it had no internal sealant—the insulation was said to expand where arc heat was present.

On any of it, if an arc is established, I would be real weary of a cable's ability to self-extinguish that arc.
© ECN Electrical Forums