ECN Forum
Posted By: wayne Bad Guy ( Electrican ) - 04/18/01 07:47 PM
I know we all make short cuts sometime. But we try and stay within our methodology in practicing good workmanship as well as quality work.

The other day I went to look at a house that the people had problems with blowing fuses. The person had already had one electrican, he said he was an electrican, to give her a estimate on changing her service.

Anyway The owner had purchased the home a few years ago. She had purchased a window A/C and had installed it in a different window than where the prior owners had theres. She hires a ( ELECTRICAN ) to install a 220 outlet for her A/C. The place where the old A/C rec was,is just into the next room. The so call electrican installed a male on a 10/2 romex run it along the floor line around the stair case and into the room by the window A/C. I thought to myself what a lazy as- and so unprofessonal.

he could have set a junction under the floor ( which I had already check out) and spliced it and then run it into the wall and done a professonal job.

Some people out there are after a buck and don't care about the safety and welfare of others as well as hurt the reputation of the good guys.
Any Comments or Suggestions.

Wayne.
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Bad Guy ( Electrican ) - 04/18/01 08:30 PM
Wayne,

I don't know any Electricians that would do something like that. It's funny how many people will trust anyone to do their Electrical work but look for references from the person cutting their lawn. [Linked Image]

Bill
Posted By: wayne Re: Bad Guy ( Electrican ) - 04/18/01 09:01 PM
Your right Bill. I guess that goes to let people know that anybody can call themselves a electrican,plumber, ect. That don't mean that they are or ever been for that matter.

The quality of work preformance can tell alot about a person's trade.

Wayne. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Tom Re: Bad Guy ( Electrican ) - 04/18/01 09:04 PM
Wayne,

Things like this go on all the time.

Having a license does not make an electrician, it usually means you know how to read (except in WV where 33% or more licenses were grandfathered).

Most people feel that if the lights are on & the receptacles work, it must be OK.

A little bit of knowledge is...

All you can do is your best, try to keep your customers safe.

Tom
Posted By: zapped1012 Re: Bad Guy ( Electrican ) - 04/18/01 11:12 PM
WAYNE,

I know what you mean. Here in NEPA, a guy gets a new truck and a ladder and he thinks he is an electrician.

ZAPPED
Posted By: sparky Re: Bad Guy ( Electrican ) - 04/18/01 11:15 PM
NO liability insurance
NO codebook
NO permit
NO concern for anyone's safety
NO license, or similar qualification
NO regard for the trade

should i start a "just say NO!" electrical ad?

[Linked Image]
© ECN Electrical Forums