ECN Forum
We should probably make this a Monthly event, as it has has always seemed to work out well.

We've had a large number of recent member signups here and as usual it seems to take awhile before some feel comfortable to join in.

Would anyone like to just say Hello? Tell us anything about yourself or where you're from? Suggestions?

How about a 'test post' or 'smiley' practice?
(Not you Sparky [Linked Image] (just kidding))

[Linked Image]
Bill
I'm an electrical engineer with a few years experience in power/industrial design-build. I learn so much from the articles and forums on this site. In my time I've been priviledged to have worked with some knowledgeable and well rounded electricians who remind me a lot of members on this site. Our professions are rarely well understood by the general public and unfortunately the only press we seem to get is about the mishaps of the few while they ignore the great work of many. Keep up the good work!
I have been a member for a while, but I don't post very often. I am not an electrician, but I do live in a house with an electrical system [Linked Image]

I enjoy reading about the various issues that come up here and I especially like the Violation Photos and Photos for Discussion. I should have take some photos of some of the electrical work ( done by previous homeowner ) in our house!

When I do have to have an electrician out to do some work, I feel much better informed having read some of the information here.
I've been a member for a short period of time, & in that time I have learned allot from the postings.

As my user name suggests, I am not an electrician, but a meterman for a municipal electric utility in Mass.

Keep up the good work!!!

[This message has been edited by ameterguy (edited 08-08-2002).]
It's always nice to hear from some newcomers, and it looks like some good additions to our diverse 'pool' of knowledge here.

Would anyone else like to say anything?

(I'm not that good at stand-up and won't last too long up here by myself [Linked Image] )

Try a test post here if you'd like. Just click the "Post Reply" button/link either on top or bottom of this page and just type in what you'd like to say.

[Linked Image]
Bill

[This message has been edited by Bill Addiss (edited 08-09-2002).]
Hello,
I'm a small 'e' mechanical engineer (no PE cert.) working in the medical products field as a manufacturing engineer. I'm known here as "cajun" and I ask too many questions. [Linked Image]

I'll be a homeowner soon (well, the bank will, and I'll be paying them for it...) and I'm curious about what all I'll be dealing with when I get one, and get a lot out of the "bad things DIY 'electricians' do" pictures, threads, etc. and from these I hope to recognize a potential problem when I see one so I can get a professional in when needed. I'm also curious about electrical/electronic stuff in general, hence the too many questions...
later,
-cajun
I, would like to say welcome along with Bill.
You're in good company here.

Just so you new guys will know, Bill is being modest, He is great at stand up.
[Linked Image]

Roger
Hi all - I am English and a owner of a mobile advertising company in Cyprus, with no knowledge of electic's but often need to know things, so here i am guys, and thanks to some members who have already replied to my first post about external lighting for my advertising trucks (see forum).

cyprus-dodger
I would also like to welcome all new members. I am an electrician at a factory that makes toolboxes. I am also into electronics and PLC's. There is much good info to be had here so jump in the pool and splash around. The water is the right temp!
Welcome to all new members

I am currently an operations manager in a higher ed computer room.

I am a licensed electrician.

I work with great big dumb wires and tiny little smart wires.

Massachusetts electrician
My welcome to our newcomers as well.

I have an electronics background, worked in telephone & telecoms engineering, absolute fanatic about everything remotely electrical since a very early age. A familiar story to many!

May I add that if anybody has any questions about the way we do things in foreign lands, come on over to the Non-U.S. area and feel free to ask.

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 08-09-2002).]
Hi
My name is Jon, I have owned my own business for 14 years repairing and installing anything related to retail gasoline. Tanks, pumps, lighting, signs etc.
I have had a limited license for this period but just passed my Masters exam after 3 years of night schooling at local tech school. My first Degree was in Mech Engineering but wanted to start my own business so here I am. Sent my 150 dollars to State of Maine along with a 8 dollar check for a criminal background check. Apparently they don't trust anyone around here [Linked Image]. I like to lurk around here as you guys have alot more electrical experience. If its explosion proof I've probably seen it or done it but if its romex, forget about it [Linked Image]. Glad I found this place as its a wealth of information
It sure is walrus, especially if your an electrician like myself out in the sticks, nuthin but rednecks, CW music, and larger road kills here.....

So i gotta get on line here, and see what the real worlds doin'.... the well rounded group here never fails me......and it beats TV ('cept baywatch ....) [Linked Image]
Thanks to all that have responded so far. We hope that you all have a rewarding experience here. Please feel free to add your opinions and I hope that you will also share your knowledge with us. [Linked Image]

I hope that some others will come forward and say Hello too.

The more the merrier,
So, how about it? [Linked Image]

Bill

[This message has been edited by Bill Addiss (edited 08-09-2002).]
Sparky
I'm in Downeast Maine, can their be anymore sticks [Linked Image].
All Members

You know who you are, and how much you enjoy the forums here. How about signing on and adding your questions about any subject related to the electrical industry.

Do you own an electric vechicle.

Do you have any old electrical books.

Are you studying for an electrician's license.

We are here to help and want to meet you, sign on now and post a question or a reply.
Thanks for the welcome. Ive been visiting this site for about a year and have been registered for a little while as well. I will say that this is my favorite forum of all that I frequently post to and visit. The people here are always knowledgeable and very courteous.

Currently I am a 22 yr old student. I have both an AAS in Mechanical Technology and an AAS in Electrical Technology. Right now I am working towards a BSEE. I love almost anything electrical and studying the NEC. I am also extremely interested in theory and design. I only have 1 year of practical electrical experience at this time from working during summers between school. Ive also taken an exam preparation code class for the last 3 semesters at nights.(two were journeymans classes and the last was the masters class)

To Joe, I have a small collection of old electrical devices plus quite a few knobs and tubes. I also will be getting a 1943 edition of an electricians handbook (I forget the exact name right now) that I found on ebay. It was nearly mint and had over 800 pages.I cant wait for it to get here!!!
Just looking to reply to the invitation
from Bill.
Hi guys, where ever you are,
look forward to conversing with you fellas,
not up with the US code requirements,
(I am from New Zealand), but I am willing to
learn, after all, guys, we all are in this game to impart SAFE use of electricity, this is an
international thing is it not?.
Hope to hear from you guys,
The email address is trumpy@emailfast.com
What day and time is it in New Zealand right now, It early in TN/USA 1:50 am now
Joe,

N.Z. time zone is 12 hours ahead of GMT, or 18 hours ahead of U.S. Central Time. I think they use daylight savings (Trumpy?), but of course at the moment it's winter down there.

So by my reckoning, at the moment:
Western Tennessee 7:30am (Sunday)
England 1:30pm (Sunday)
N.Z. 12:30am tomorrow (Monday)

Dave,
I keep an eye on eBay for old technical books as well. It's quite a buzz when you see something appear that you've been searching for. I just bought a 2 vol. set of 1948 Telephony handbooks that I've been trying to get hold of for years!
Thanks for the welcome. I've been registered for a couple of months, but have been visiting for about a year now.
I worked as a construction electrician in the fifties and sixties, and have been teaching the Electrical Apprentice Program at our community college in Prince Edward Island, Canada, for over thirty years.

The NEC and CEC are similar in principle, but very different in the details, numbering system, etc.

Because I am not very familiar with the NEC (but I'm learning, thanks to this forum) I must limit my responses to questions involving basic principles.

[Linked Image from electric-ed.com]

Ed
Gidday,
Yes, we do have daylight-saving time,
over here, we are about to go into
this next month(first weekend of
October).
Jees, you guys stay up late, 1:50AM?.
Cheers Trumpy
Hello All, Again!

Sign on, no one bites here!

[This message has been edited by Joe Tedesco (edited 09-21-2002).]
Hello,
I'm an industrial electrician in the Chicagoland area. I enjoy reading your posts because it assures me that there are still people out there who want to do a job correctly. Some of the hack's I work with make my brain melt.

I'd give my eye teeth to get a Chicago liscense. I've been trying for years, but the requirements are too strict. I'd have to work for a liscensed contractor for two years before I can take the test. There's no work here, nobody's hiring. Or they can't keep you on for two continuous years.

I enjoy your posts, but have to filter out half of your info. Here in Chicago we work by Chicago codes. They are way more strict than the rules that the rest of you play by. Something about a fire we had here a few years back. . . .
Posted By: TE Re: Breaking the Ice ... Welcome to new Members ! - 09/13/02 08:02 PM
All work and no play makes jack a dull boy.

[This message has been edited by TE (edited 10-03-2002).]
[Linked Image] hi all. i've been around awhile.not a licensed electrician, but do a lot of the work mostly residental. i'm an avid wtthour meter collector & other old electrical eqipment.joe you've got a great site & you guys are GREAT!
I guess I will add my 2 cents here. I have been on BB's for more than 12 years now. Joe can tell you this. I was in the electrical trade since 1975, and I was in my own business since 1984. I left the trade to become an electrical inspector. With the help of Joe T. He pushed me into getting my own inspectors lic. and I still can't thank him enough. The man knows his code. He probably forgot more than I will ever know. I just hope That I will be 1/2 the inspector that Joe is. I have been a working inspector since 1998. I must be a nut because I spend my spare time talking and discussing code.

Caper
I am a CTE Instructor for the Windham School District and part time electrical contractor. I enjoy reading the many topics here on the forum and use it continuously as a resource of information. Its great to know there are so many electricians truly concerned for the well being of others and for our chosen profession. I just registered 9/12/02 and will try to participate more often.
I'm glad to hear from some new members here!

I know that there are many more that read this board regularly, or that register and have never posted. I'd like to see more of them involved. How about it?

Where are you from? What do you do?

If anyone is having trouble or is unsure about registering or posting messages just send me an email and I'd be happy to help you out.

Bill
Bill@Electrical-Contractor.net
Harold:

Gee thanks for the kind words! I always enjoyed it when when added a new member and hope that it will continue here.

I also think that we all should really thank Bill because he is the person who made this board happen!
THANKS BILL!!! [Linked Image]

Caper

As I said, I have been "talking" with Joe for many years on many BB's. I guess I am just a nut, but talking and discussing code is one of my hobbies.
Hi, I'm from New Zealand same as Trumpy,
I have been in the industry for quite a while and am finally finishing Trade cert. the oldest apprentice in my Class ie old Appy. CW
I am new to the ECN. I am going for journeyman (SBCCI) in 6 days!!! I Have been doing DYI electrical work sporadically as a plumber(water heaters, thermostats, etc). But have been stricly electrician for about 2 years doing small stuff for some local contractors here in the south.I have 3 years electrical trade school through NCEER and commercial experience as a helper.
I like working at the hospitals what with all the critical systems, generators, It is definitely a field I am going to love learning about.
"it is not important to know everything. It is important to know where to get the information "
Sean WB,
We've met already, but Welcome to ECN!

You've "stumbled" upon a wealth of knowledge and a great group of folks here who love their trade and want to be their best.

Good luck!

[Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by sparky66wv (edited 09-16-2002).]
Thank you
I'm an Estimator/Project Manager for an electrical contractor in Baton Rouge, LA. Been in construction about 30 years. I am developing an estimating system based on Microsoft Excel. I am very interested in other estimators opinions on software. This looks like a great resource for contractors!
Oh it is!

Not only do you get quick and consise answers to most questions, some actually create a little controversy, which can be fun if handled like adults.

And not only can you learn from your questions answered, but from the questions and experiences of dozens of others as well!

It's a gold mine of info, and we try hard to be true to the trade.

Allow me to add that, in Sean's case especially, we can't help much in short notice as far as passing exams, but if you visit ECN daily for a year or so, you'll find yourself on a much higher awareness of code and standard practices and your next exam won't be so tough!

I haven't proven this theory by going and taking the IAEI test yet, but I'm gearing up for it again... I still wonder if I'm ready to be an Inspector on a personal level... It's a tough decision... I could get myself shot if I were as tough as Joe, Don, George and others here! And very precious few service installations in my area would completely pass code.

What to do...

[This message has been edited by sparky66wv (edited 09-16-2002).]
thanks for the welcome. I just opened the doors to 24 hour electric. i'm starting slow. i'll be doing my first house tomorrow. i'd rather be chasing elk this weekend but a man has to have priorities. i have a ton of questions on getting started for you guys. i've already spent hours sifting through your archives. a million thanks to arseegee on bidding. well many thanks dan'o
Hi Bill, welcome all new members and exisiting members.
I havt't posted much lately for i been kinda busy.
I am located in Fayetteville, NC, I am a licensed electrical and plumbing contractor, begain doing carpentry work in the early 70s, and in the 80s done a lot of remodeling, rm additions,carports, roofing, brick work, concrete ect.
obtain my electrial license in 86 and plumbing license in 87.
Sparky i beleive you are about the closest to my area that i know of.
Again welcome all members,hope to be talking to you guys.
wayne
It's Great to see some new people coming forward here!

Anybody else ??

;D
Bill
May I also add that all are welcome over in the Non-U.S. section?

If you're curious about the way wiring is done outside the U.S. of A., come on over and ask. We have regular members now from several countries.
Absolutely!

It's always great to hear from people from other parts of the world !! It's interesting to explore the differences and similarities of how Electricity is distributed and used throughout the world.

You've been doing a Great job here Paul !!

Do we have any other people from outside the US that would like to say hello? Tell us where you're from.

[Linked Image]
Bill

[This message has been edited by Bill Addiss (edited 10-02-2002).]
Hello Bill,
I've been off the site for a while. I was in a car accident in Feb. Things are going good. I went back to work in July. I'm lucky that I work for a company as a planner estimator. I was promoted from an electrician approx. 2 years ago. I'm also a Licensed spark with a part time business. Tne endurance is getting better and soon I'll be back in the attics and crawls. I enjoy this site and I hope to be going to meetings at SCECA. I hope to take a third test from IAEI on the 1 and 2 family dwellings soon.
Take care and keep the great work going
Hi!

I found these excellent fora only a few weeks ago. I only wish I had encountered them sooner since there are many (perhaps only [Linked Image] ) very knowledgeable people here, with answers to most questions. I really like that you can easily add images to the text. Sometimes an image really does say more than a thousand words.

I'm one of the odd people here: I'm neither an electrician nor do I live in the US. I'm an engineer (soon at least) and located in Sweden, a small and cold country in northern Europe.

I'm supposed to be good at engines, not electrics. I found out too late that engines were much less interesting than electrics...

[This message has been edited by C-H (edited 10-03-2002).]
Virgil has a Latin lesson:

"fora" is plural for "forum"...

I didn't know that!
C-H so whatsa matter with engines? Big round ones in airplanes, big long ones in locomotives, steam driven ones, air driven ones, little itty bitty ones ( saw one one time that had a 3/16th inch stroke, almost needed a magnifying glass to see the thing.)I think that you will find that the members here are ones with many and varied interests.
Trainwire
Thanks for the kind words Bill.

C-H,
I've been meaning to ask: Are you actually Swedish by birth? Your English is excellent!

Still, when it comes to speaking other languages, I'm afraid that most of you in Continental Europe put all native English-speakers to shame.

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 10-03-2002).]
Paul,

You're quite welcome. [Linked Image]

SJT,

Sorry to hear about the accident! I'm glad to hear that you are doing better. Maybe I'll see you at a meeting soon. Don't be a stranger!

C-H,

Welcome!

[Linked Image]
Bill

[This message has been edited by Bill Addiss (edited 10-03-2002).]
Virgil
>Virgil has a Latin lesson:
>"fora" is plural for "forum"...

Who can possibly be better suited to give a Latin lesson than someone named for the famous Roman writer? [Linked Image]

Trainwire
Not forgetting the really big ones with ladders inside. Engines for supertankers have ten feet stroke and run at 60 rpm. [Linked Image]

Paul
>Are you actually Swedish by birth? Your English is excellent!

*blush* Thanks! Yes, I am. The closest to Britain I've ever come is switching planes at Heatrow...

[This message has been edited by C-H (edited 10-04-2002).]
C-H, you betcha, I just listed the ones that I have seen myself, never been in an engineroom of a supertanker. Closest I ever got was a tugboat.

You just might be an engineer if:
everybody else on the Alaska cruise is on deck looking at the scenery, and you're still in the engineroom on your personal guided tour. [Linked Image]
Trainwire
You just might be an engineer if:
everybody else on the Alaska cruise is on deck looking at the scenery, and you're still in the engineroom on your personal guided tour.

LOL! I've had such experiences, yes... Six months ago I visited the Saab testtrack, where we drove by a small gas station. Having worked for "the big oil company" I instantly noticed something weird. The fuels were: 95 octane, 91 (87 US, not sold here) and "Worst Case Fuel". I laughed so much that I didn't notice the not-yet-released new Saab 9-3 we met... After all, it's the inside that counts, isn't it? At least to an engineer. [Linked Image]
Hi, Roger here. I work for Panelview in Hillsboro, Oregon. I am the Facilities Manager and I am a Journeyman Electrician.
This is a great place to hang out I have learned a lot, keep up the good work.
Hi everybody! I really enjoy this forum - evry time there seems to be something new to learn. I got my journeyman lic in '93 and my master lic in '96. I have worked both in residential and commercial but for the last few years I settled into the industrial end of it, maintaining the overhead cranes for a big aerospace company. It was an opportunity for me to get into what I like nost: troubleshooting, PLC, and so forth.
The other hat I wear is as a contractor.
Best to all of you out there.
Some times we forget to say thank you to the main parties.

So, THANK YOU BILL,

Your diplomacy and overall kindness is to be addmired.

Since we are in cyberspace we can't see you blush. [Linked Image]

Seriously, thanks

Roger
Roger,

I guess one of those Smileys are embarrassed but I can't tell which one. (They look Mad, I don't weant to be mistaken for that)

What can I say except Thank You!
You guys (and Gals) are what makes this place what it is. I thank You! [Linked Image]

Anyone else out there want to say hello?

[Linked Image]
Bill
You have a very interesting board going here.
I am glad to be part of it.I have been an electrician for 16 years.I have done residential,commercial,and industrial.Did the union thing for a while got out of it a while ago and plan on opening my own shop in the summer of 2003.I will be posting here very often.One of the things that I like to do when I am on a jobsite is take my camcorder you would be amazed at the things that I have.I will be sending some pictures to joe ,to post.
© ECN Electrical Forums