ECN Forum
Posted By: spkjpr Calipers for measuring wire size - 04/14/01 03:02 AM
Once upon a time I saw a set of calipers that read out wire size. I frequently get call to remove old subpanels and need to check the size of wire an the panel that the load is being moved to. Most of these the marking on the wire is no longer legible. If anyone can help me I would appreciate it. Also this board is a great asset and very interesting.
Posted By: electure Re: Calipers for measuring wire size - 04/14/01 01:01 PM
The smaller sizes can be checked with a pair of strippers that have the multiple sizes. For the larger sizes, you might check the dimensions of legibly marked conductors, log them in on a piece of paper, and use them for future reference.
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Calipers for measuring wire size - 04/14/01 08:34 PM
spkjpr,

I usually use strippers to determine the size like electure mentioned and carry around some small pieces of larger sizes to compare side by side. If it's important for larger sizes I think you can figure it out by knowing the size of each strand and counting them.

Bill
Posted By: sparky Re: Calipers for measuring wire size - 04/15/01 04:02 PM
I wonder if the machinist trade would have something useful for you..?

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Steve T Re: Calipers for measuring wire size - 04/17/01 02:38 AM
Are you referring to those plastic cards with the appropriate notch in them for the size wire you are trying to find? If not, how about those?

I would never stick a pair of wire strippers in a live panel to do an inspection.--not suggesting anyone else was suggesting that, but I can't shut the power down to do an inspection.

How about a proposal for manufacturers to mark the wire size on the wire every 6"s instead of 24". I can't find the wire size for new wires half the time.
Posted By: dtl66 Re: Calipers for measuring wire size - 04/19/01 08:08 PM
I think you are refering to a Burndy wire mike. Don't know if you can get them new but I found one on Ebay about a year ago.
Posted By: Mike Re: Calipers for measuring wire size - 04/19/01 08:54 PM
You might try asking people at a motor repair shop. They use calipers to determine wire size of the motor windings.
Posted By: zapped1012 Re: Calipers for measuring wire size - 04/20/01 12:12 AM
SPKJPR, I BORROWED TWO OF THESE METAL WIRE GAUGES , BOUT 3" IN DIA. WHEN I WAS IN THE NAVY AS A SPARKY. FUNNY THING IS I DON'T RECALL GIVING THEM BACK. I BET THERE WAS 20 SIZES ON IT. I THINK MIKE HAS THE BEST ANSWER.
Posted By: John-Tx Re: Calipers for measuring wire size - 04/20/01 03:09 PM
Originally posted by dtl66:
I think you are refering to a Burndy wire mike. Don't know if you can get them new but I found one on Ebay about a year ago.
Burndy is now a part of [url=]Framatome[/url]. Neat tool, but I didn't see it on their site.
Posted By: John-Tx Re: Calipers for measuring wire size - 04/20/01 03:11 PM
Looks like I blew the link: http://www.fciconnect.com/ is Framatome
Posted By: wayne Re: Calipers for measuring wire size - 04/20/01 06:32 PM
Spkjr,

I sometimes do like Bill does, cary some short pieces of large conductors with you to compare when needed. And Of course a lot of the time you can count the strands to determined the size.

I guess we all have a variety of method we use. This board is a great way to do just that, as well as to get to know other fellows in or trade.

Wayne [Linked Image]
© ECN Electrical Forums