ECN Forum
Posted By: pauluk 15A vs. 20A - 07/20/02 10:18 AM
On your general-purpose lighting/non-kitchen area receptacle circuits, how often are you now installing 20A branches instead of 15A?

If 20A is installed, are you using T-slot 20A receptacles throughout, or sticking with 15A types? Come to think of it, just how common are domestic appliances with 120V 20A plugs? I don't recall ever seeing any during my time in America.

(Bathrooms notwithstanding as I know that requires its only 20A GFI branch now.)
Posted By: sparky Re: 15A vs. 20A - 07/20/02 10:44 AM
Paul,
mostly 15A devicing here on 20A general lighting & receptacle circuits.

i see few 20A male cord caps, there was one that came with my PVC bender, which i replaced with a 15A.
Great circuit tester.....

but now that you've brought it up,i think the mega-hair dryers we have exceeds the male cord cap technically , some close to 1900W.

manufacturer's....they <ahem> rule here....
Posted By: pauluk Re: 15A vs. 20A - 07/20/02 08:36 PM
I remember the thread some months ago about the high-power hairdryers and whether they should have a 20A plug (no such problem here, as our standard plug/recept combination allows for up to 3kW).

Wasn't there a question over whether a hairdryer would be classed as a continuous load and thus make the plug subject to the 80% rating?
© ECN Electrical Forums