ECN Forum
Posted By: Bill Addiss Hello to New Members !! - 07/09/02 02:41 AM
I think that every once in awhile it's good to say welcome to new members here. We've had a bunch of new signups recently and I was hoping to get some to respond.

Tell us where you're from, what you do, Anything.... How HOT is it? (I hear the weather is always a good topic to start with)

[Linked Image]
Bill
Posted By: Electric Eagle Re: Hello to New Members !! - 07/09/02 02:55 AM
Hey Guys, I'm fairly new, I joined a month or 2 ago. I really enjoy the site and check in every day. As for the weather, Hot, Hot, Hot. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Hello to New Members !! - 07/09/02 12:33 PM
Eagle,

Thanks for chiming in. This looks like a lead-in for a stand-up routine here.
(... so, HOW HOT IS IT? [Linked Image] )

I've seen some weather maps lately with 110 in places - yikes! That must really be a killer in the attics and rooftops ! (Tar Beach)

Anyone else want to say Hello or add something here?

Bill
Posted By: mamills Re: Hello to New Members !! - 07/09/02 01:48 PM
I want to say welcome to the new members, as well as express my appreciation to the older members of the forum. Maybe "older" is not quite the proper term...in my hometown of Wharton, TX, one is not classified as an "older" resident unless you have lived here over 20 years! [Linked Image]

I guess I am a relatively new member, having registered about a year or so back. I look forward to spending a few quiet moments at the forum each day, seeing what everyone is up to, and, on occasion, throwing in a word or two or asking a question to learn more. The vast knowledge imparted by these good men and women can literally fill volumes, and I strongly encourage others to become a part of this forum. It can only enrich your career.

Work Safely today... [Linked Image]

Mike (mamills)
Posted By: Roger Re: Hello to New Members !! - 07/09/02 04:25 PM
Great, idea Bill. I would like to say Welcome Too.

Here in the mountains it's been pretty warm but not in the 100's Whew, thats hot. [Linked Image]

Even here we don't make anyone go into an attic after 10:00 am and if there is somebody already in an attic at this time, they can use their own discretion as to whether or not they should come down and finish tomorrow. The reason for this is another thread.

Back to the new members. Welcome again!!! [Linked Image]

I see Electric Ed is here. Hi Ed, looking foward to your instructional expertice.

Roger

[This message has been edited by Roger (edited 07-09-2002).]
Posted By: Bjarney Re: Hello to New Members !! - 07/09/02 05:24 PM
That Kooky Internet.
Posted By: wire654 Re: Hello to New Members !! - 07/09/02 06:29 PM
Hi gang, thanks for the welcome.
I'm an electrician that's been in the field for 29 years and just started my own business 8 months ago. I've been following this list for a while now and have learned a lot!
Bill, it's hot in the Philadelphia area too but relief is on the way.

Tom
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Hello to New Members !! - 07/09/02 08:08 PM
Thanks Mike and Roger,

I'd like to add my welcome to Electric Ed too. Your illustrations are great!

Bjarney,

Yep, the Internet is a wild place! I learn something new every day.

Tom,

Good to hear from you!
I hope you're right about the relief, heat seems to get to me more and more each year.

[Linked Image]
Bill
Posted By: pauluk Re: Hello to New Members !! - 07/09/02 09:45 PM
My welcome to all new members too!

It looked like our English summer (usually about three days! [Linked Image]) was on the way a couple of weeks ago, temperatures up into the low 70s. But the last few days have been gray and wet.

Over here, everybody starts talking about a heatwave if the mercury reaches 80 degrees! Despite our changeable and unpredictable weather, we seldom get the extremes that most parts of the U.S. get. It can still get too hot in attics though.
Posted By: master43 Re: Hello to New Members !! - 07/10/02 02:01 AM
Thanks I just signed up tonight. Been an electrician for 6 years after spending 20 years in another field. Thinking about going into business for myself unsure if it would be better or worse then working for someone else.
Posted By: electure Re: Hello to New Members !! - 07/10/02 03:27 AM
I've not been posting much of anything for quite a while ('cause I've known I wouldn't have the time to keep up properly), but have been reading (aka=lurking) whenever time allows.
I want to welcome anyone that has the "interest", and encourage you to join up and be heard. This forum will not teach you 1 thing new every day... it will teach you many.
The only stupid question is the one that was never asked.
You'll find that this is the best bunch of information that you'll get, from the best bunch of people around. They really care. Trust Me...(signed on since 12-24-00)...S
Posted By: arseegee Re: Hello to New Members !! - 07/10/02 03:49 AM
Hi all. Been here for six months almost and try to check it every day. Learned some valuable tidbits along the way from the vast collection of members. As for HOT... I have been setting up services on multi-family dwellings for the last few days. No shade to be found. I looked across the street at the college info/clock sign and it flashed 101 degrees. Yeah I'd say it's hot down here.
Posted By: joeh20 Re: Hello to New Members !! - 07/10/02 09:38 AM
Hello all, been reading for about 8 months I guess. Started learning the trade about 22 years ago when I was twelve. I had the best teacher in the world. I helped every weekend for a long time,at my fathers industrial laundry, we were always adding new wiring, the electrician he hired always had me help and I picked up rather quickly. Hand bending 1 1/4" emt at twelve will make a man out of you for sure. At 18 started helping a friend wire residential for his father, and kept my day job at the laundry. We wired better than a 100 houses in 4 or 5 years. Now I work midnights at the the local water plant, 2400 vac/SCADA plc controls 500hp pumps, and the like.. And operate my own electrical business during the day and most every weekend. Mostly additions, some service work, mostly old stuff. Less that a day jobs usually. I have two helpers that work as needed usually on big weekend projects. I hold a Limited Electrical License in Tennessee, And I am working to get a contractors license by next year.

[This message has been edited by joeh20 (edited 07-10-2002).]
Posted By: Trainwire Re: Hello to New Members !! - 07/10/02 10:56 AM
Bill, and Mike(Mamills)
Since in an earlier thread Mike asked about my backround, I started taking things apart when I was about 7, and started putting the things I took apart back together when I was about 10. [Linked Image] My Dad was an industrial electrician and electronics tech for the local RCA plant, (the first infared motion sensor still turns his porch light on and off) so he taught me a lot about the funny things electrons can do. Took a two year Vo-Tech course on electronics the last years I was at High school, then moved on to college where I learned to machine,weld,design,draw,and fly and fix airplanes I have my pilots license and mechanics license. 2 years as a mechanic, then 6 in the radio shop installing the communications and navigation radios. Moved into the railroad field (long story,don't ask) where I took over the communications and signaling department. Anything with electrons is my responsibility. The crossing gates, telephones, computers,deasel and steam driven generators,new machines,(and old machines, some date from the teens), building wiring all fall under my "umbrella". I have been to Romania twice, to work in an orphanage and a boys school being started in an abandoned communist farm. (NO INSPECTIONS ANYTHING GOES! [Linked Image])
I really appreciate the acceptance by the other members of this site, I have learned alot.

Trainwire, AKA Steve

Oh yea, forgot, hotter than blue blazes here,heat index over 100. but the job I am currently doing here has me working in an airconditioned room up top, or in the damp crawl space below. So Iam out of the heat. thankfully.

[This message has been edited by Trainwire (edited 07-10-2002).]
Posted By: Joe Tedesco Re: Hello to New Members !! - 07/10/02 01:53 PM
Welcome!!

I too always enjoy reading the new member replys, and comments, and appreciate the summary of experience given.

Your suggestions, and contributions are always welcomed!

I can remember those hot attics too, and the high temperatures, that's one of the reasons for the "-B" on Romex, since the 1984 NEC.

Make the ECN board your homepage!!

[This message has been edited by Joe Tedesco (edited 10-14-2002).]
Posted By: mims Re: Hello to New Members !! - 07/10/02 01:59 PM
Howdy, and thanks for the welcome. My short history is this..

work the the local power company 16yr, senior distribution lineman.

Took life savings and purchased an existing electrical supply house. 911 came along and lost bus and 18 employees not to mention my ass

Fell back on master license that I pick up and started electrical contracting.

Thanks for your time
Mims
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Hello to New Members !! - 07/10/02 07:17 PM
Let me say "you're welcome"
I've been around the site for a few months now....
Great bunch of guys!!
I'm an electrical contractor, (NJ) 17 years & still going.....mostly commercial.
As we seem not to "make" anything here in NJ anymore, I guess that's what happened to the industrial part of work..
The weather...nice today, but it was hot as _ell last week.

Have a great day
John (HotLine1)
Posted By: pauluk Re: Hello to New Members !! - 07/10/02 07:20 PM
Joe,

PS: I have an interest in any old advertisements for electrical equipment and wondered if anyone has discovered them on the internet?

Did you see the old British ads I posted in the non-U.S. section a while ago? They are here.

I'll scan some more ads from that journal for you (or anyone else) is interested.

Trainwire,
Do you have any interesting wiring stories from your time in Romania? They'd make a good addition to the non-U.S. area.
Posted By: Joe Tedesco Re: Hello to New Members !! - 07/10/02 08:11 PM
Paul:

Yes, Thanks, I missed the original post? Interesting advertisements of electrical items. I always enjoy the old stuff. I have many old books that show early electrical installations.

This subject reminds me of my eary years as an electrician in NYC on 39th street when I worked for Master Electric Company.
Posted By: MinElectrcn Re: Hello to New Members !! - 07/11/02 02:23 AM
Hello everyone I have been visiting this site now for about six months and cant get enough. You have all been very helpful with the advice given about the topics and discusions noted here. It is nice to know there is "someone to ask" for advice. I am in the industrial end of the trade, and soon hope to be switching to commercial. Anyway, just wanted to say hello and thankyou.
Posted By: The Watt Doctor Re: Hello to New Members !! - 07/11/02 03:41 AM
Welcome on in and stay awhile. Take your shoes off. Heck, to join in the fun around here you don't even have to be Well-groomed. You will find a large number of Well-balanced people around here, but most would say that I am not part of that group. I would say that I am in a state of Well-being. I have yet to meet any here who are not Well-disposed. If I'm ever invited to dinner by anyone here, let me warn you that I like my electric work Well-done, but not my steak. There are many, like Scott35, George Corron, and Joe Tedesco, who are Well-grounded. So, if you want to start throwing flames at those guys, your arguments better be Well-founded. I would say that Bill is a Well-wisher. Notice it was he that thought enough about the new folks around here to start this thread. Bigbluewirenut, sparky, redsy, resqcapt, master66, cindy, BuggaBooBren, sparkyvw66, and others always seem to pop in at just the right moment. Yup, they are part of the Well-timed group. Then there is pauluk, who always speaks perfect english. We southern folks would just say, "That British feller sure is Well-spoken." As long as I've been reading and posting here, I've never found anyone who wasn't Well-meaning. You'll find that the people here care about this trade, and I for one have been suprised on more than one occasion at the lengths that the members of this forum will go to help others. So, with that being said, I think that this post is Well-worn.

Regards to all members, new, and not so new,
Doc
Posted By: Scott35 Re: Hello to New Members !! - 07/11/02 09:38 AM
I am happy to be part of this forum! Never imagined that I could assist so many people in so many ways!

The relationships I have with members in this forum have been of such a high value to me, and have been a significant key in where I am right now. Simply, without this forum, my abilities would be lagging.

If this is true of me, imagine what can be said for a person with good skills and brains!

Thanks to everyone for the opportunities!

Scott S.E.T.
Posted By: pauluk Re: Hello to New Members !! - 07/11/02 05:47 PM

Then there is pauluk, who always speaks perfect english. We southern folks would just say, "That British feller sure is Well-spoken."

I don't know about that Doc! [Linked Image]

I sometimes have people here telling me off for using what they regard as Americanisms.

By the way, there are some language historians who believe that the modern English of the Southern States is closest in pronunciation and accent to that spoken in England during Shakespeare's time.
Posted By: sparky Re: Hello to New Members !! - 07/11/02 10:30 PM
welcome all new members, this forum is well worth your time...

Live Long & Post More

[Linked Image from bitinc.com]
Posted By: George Corron Re: Hello to New Members !! - 07/12/02 02:17 AM
By all means welcome all. I think the reason I use this forum over the others is that for the most part ALL who come here are seeking knowledge, and that may be the best of human tendencies.

Shoot Doc, I've never been accused of being well balanced before.........UN-balanced a time or two [Linked Image]

Don't fergit the medical advice, I'd still have that broke laig, if you hadn't told me about that medicine from Meh hee ko with the worm in the bottom [Linked Image]

This is a great group, and you can never have too many. Enjoy and join in.
Posted By: sparky66wv Re: Hello to New Members !! - 07/12/02 03:06 AM
I hope Bill doesn't figure out that he could actually charge us for this service!!!

[Linked Image]

D'oh! I should keep my big mouth shut!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: George Corron Re: Hello to New Members !! - 07/12/02 10:24 AM
You mean...........I'M the only one he charges?????????? [Linked Image]
Posted By: Joe Tedesco Re: Hello to New Members !! - 07/12/02 05:50 PM
Doc:

Thanks, I may be "Well Grounded" but also must have my "overcurrent protection and main bonding jumper" checked for proper sizing and function once in a while.

On another note:

I too have enjoyed this forum since its beginnings, and have learned from it.

I only want to call attention to the way in which questions are asked, and the way in which the answers are given.

I'll bet that the readership here includes many who are looking for accurate information, and reply upon this forum for some answers to the same questions they have.

I know that most of the regular contributors here give the best information they have available to them.

I do however question some of the comments and would ask that anyone "including the new kids on the block" think about their replies here, and in some cases go back and edit them when necessary.

[This message has been edited by Joe Tedesco (edited 07-12-2002).]
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Hello to New Members !! - 07/12/02 07:18 PM
George,
I'M the only one he charges??????????
That reminds me, you last check was returned and I'm having a hard time contacting that bank in Nigeria where your checks are drawn.

[Linked Image]
Bill
Posted By: bill woods Re: Hello to New Members !! - 07/13/02 03:20 AM
hi everyone, as you can see my name is bill. i am a brand spanking new j-man. i live and work in alberta canada. it is hot here too! haven't hit the big 100 yet but have been scratching at the door for the last few days. of course being a totally metric country (yeah right!) we measure in celsius rather than farenheit. so we've been running at about 35C for a while. i've been dabbling with electrons for 45 years but now i'm a real electrician. people up here regard journeymen elctricians as having the answer for everthing electrical. well i can say that that is far from the truth. as i progress in the trade i become more and more aware of how little i know. i want to thank every contributor to these forums. i have learned so much from you guys this past year i can't thank you enough. i try to check in daily especially to the CEC section. i haven't had to post a question yet. when i do i know that i will be drawing on years of experience.
Posted By: Eandrew Re: Hello to New Members !! - 07/13/02 05:17 AM
I just stumbled across this forum when I was unemployed. How lucky, because this forum has been such a huge help. Not just in my question posts, but in reading all yours.

I'm a fourth year apprentice in a 5yr program. I'm studying for my journeyman and master tests and also have memberships to nfpa and iaei. But, nothing comes close to this forum for purposes of understanding issues and being able to articulate what you want to say.

currently I'm working on the seattle opra house. The electrical is $12 million alone.

Between running and work I dont read and post as much as I like to, but I try every week.
Posted By: SamC Re: Hello to New Members !! - 07/14/02 05:04 AM
Hi all. I'm a 20th year Canadian electrician (309 & 442) who works in a industrial setting in a small town, and do a fare bit of residencial work on the side. I follow a couple of electrical forums that are geared to the nec and I find them very informative when they get into theory. Their are some Canadian sites but they are pretty quite. I enjoy reading about how most of you are self employed and I always wanted to be my own boss, but a steady pay and benefits has spoiled me, especially my wife. By the way this is the best electrical site yet! that I've come a cross. I'm curious though how others got into the trade. I started right out of high school when I 18 and was preparing to go into aviation mechanics when the provincial utility company was looking for apprentices, I applied and ended up serving a 4 year apprenticeship. 7 yrs later after tiring of all the travel I settled down with job at a small town as a township electrician. Later I took a job at a mine site as a surface leadhand electrician and 20 yrs later I now work in a plywood mill. So how did you end up being a magician, I mean electrician
PS 27-29 C\degrees no rain in site
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Hello to New Members !! - 07/16/02 05:27 AM
Some Good responses here!

Sam and Bill,

It's nice to see some of our northern neighbors here! There are more of your countrymen around here too that you may not be aware of. Make yourself at home and feel free to share some of your experiences and practices with us or to ask questions.

It seems that many of our non-American visitors may have a tendency to be more reserved and hesitant to participate. I assure you that there are many curious people here that are very interested in "how things tick" everywhere else around the Globe. Please don't be shy!

[Linked Image]
Bill
Posted By: harold endean Re: Hello to New Members !! - 07/17/02 12:43 AM
Hello to all,

I have been reading posts on electrical boards for many years. Just ask Joe from to old days on the Prodigy board. I went from being a contractor to being a working electrical inspector. ( Thanks to Joe's proding and teachings.) I pop in now and then ( Usually 2-3 days later ) add my 2 cents, and read everything. I like the old electrical equipment. ( not to install but to look at.) (LOL) I have seen a lot from airport wiring, new homes (some with bowling alleys in them, swimming pools, and a 2 story waterfall.) to a hospital operating room. I am trying to get a digital camera right now to bring to work, so that I can show some of the violations I have seen. I also posted a top 10 list of violations for Joe a long time ago.

Keep safe Harold aka Caper
© ECN Electrical Forums