ECN Forum
Posted By: frank Sylvania breakers - 07/04/02 12:01 AM
Haven't done too much residential work and am looking for a 40a DPST GFCI breaker for a 125amp single phase Bolt On Sylvania panel .The wholesaler I generally use does or did not carry this line so they will be little help .Do these breakers exist and if not is there a listed replacement? thanks

[This message has been edited by frank (edited 07-03-2002).]
Posted By: Electric Eagle Re: Sylvania breakers - 07/04/02 03:27 AM
Good Luck. [Linked Image]

Try building maintainence supply stores or maybe Grainger. You may have to get it used, I have people call me regularly wanting to buy old breakers, but I don't know where to buy old ones. Wish I could help more. Maybe do an online search.
Posted By: Bjarney Re: Sylvania breakers - 07/04/02 03:42 AM
GTE bolt-on 2-pole GFCI? Ashtrays on motorcycles may be easier to locate.
www.google.com/search?q=Zinsco
d/b/a GTE∙Sylvania∙Challenger
Posted By: caselec Re: Sylvania breakers - 07/04/02 05:30 AM
Hi Frank

Do you know what type the breaker is? If it is the old Zinsco style I think your going to be out of luck. I don't think they even made two pole GFI's in this type. If the breaker looks similar to a GE or Siemens breaker then a Cutler-Hammer QBGF2040 may be what your looking for. The Zinsco line became Sylvania for a while then Challenger then Westinghouse and is now Cutler-Hammer. If you can find any more info about the panel or what type the other breakers are in the panel post it and I might be able to provide more help.

From reading the reply's to this post and other posts it sounds like many of you have a hard time finding old breakers. I am in the San Jose, CA area and we have several suppliers that specialize in old breakers. If they don't have what your looking for on their shelves they can usually get it for you the next day. For anyone that needs a hard to find breaker try:
POWER BREAKER (408)453-3757
BAY BREAKERS (408)998-2980
CIRCUIT-99 (408)493-1499

Curt
Posted By: electure Re: Sylvania breakers - 07/04/02 12:21 PM
Seems like your easiest-out on this might be to mount a "modern" GFI C/B in its own small enclosure, and feed it from a 2 pole C/B in the panel. The Zinsco name is now owned by Thos. & Betts, and they don't make a GFI breaker for these old turkeys.
Posted By: Bjarney Re: Sylvania breakers - 07/04/02 05:29 PM
T&B now? And you all thought 'stablok' was a name to steer clear of...
© ECN Electrical Forums