ECN Forum
Posted By: straightedge Failed 200amp SES - 04/14/02 04:02 AM
I installed a 200amp SES on a residential house here in Phoenix, AZ and have failed inspection because the "Murry" panel is against the "EUSERC 300 SHT 4 LETTER K" standards. Cannot have customer wire raceways in meter area. (EUSERC is apparently a book of standards that Arizona, Texas, and I can't remember which other Power Companies, got together and made up for SES installations.)

I don't understand because the meter area is totally blocked in and isolated by metal walls. I called SRP (Salt River Project) and they told me that when they made the EUSERC rules nobody from Murry or Square D called and talked to them so now the Murry and Square D 200amp meter-panel combanations do not comply with this EUSERC standard that is now being enforced.

Any information would really help, thank you.
Posted By: Bjarney Re: Failed 200amp SES - 04/14/02 04:37 AM
This won't solve your problem but might look over: http://www.euserc.com/eusercmembers.htm

Is it the building inspector or the utility that's rejected the equipment?

What's an SES?
Posted By: straightedge Re: Failed 200amp SES - 04/14/02 05:04 AM
It is the Power Company Inspector that is rejecting the Murry 200amp meter-panel combo SES.(Service Entrance Section)
Posted By: wolfdog Re: Failed 200amp SES - 04/14/02 12:52 PM
This is apparently Arizona, California,Washington,and Hawaii.
Texas has enough foolishness going on but we are not a part of this......yet.
Posted By: Tom Re: Failed 200amp SES - 04/14/02 03:03 PM
Unless you have access to another power company, you're going to have to play by their rules.

How did you come by this piece of equipment? All the wholesalers in my area know what the requirements are &make sure that the equipment they sell or furnish will meet power company standards. Surely, they are not unaware of the power companies requirements.

Square D is arrogant enough that they probably expect EUSERC to get in line with them, not the other way around. Can't imagine why Murray didn't get certified, maybe it's a geographic thing.
Posted By: caselec Re: Failed 200amp SES - 04/14/02 07:58 PM
Is this an overhead or underground service?

I live in PG&E territory and they have very strict requirements and follow EUSERC rules very closely. If your are dealing with an overhead service then you are only allowed the load conductors from the meter to be in the meter socket area. If you have an underground service the you must provide an underground pull section that can not contain any customer conductors. What is the part number of the panel you used? All the manufactures make service entrance devices that comply to the EUSERC requirements including Murray and Square D. We install them everyday! It is up to the buyer to make sure the model they are getting meets the requirements for their particular installation. If you purchased this panel from a local supply house they should know which equipment to stock for your area.
Posted By: sparky Re: Failed 200amp SES - 04/14/02 11:06 PM
better yet, is there any listing violation pertinent to a safety issue here??

[This message has been edited by sparky (edited 04-14-2002).]
Posted By: straightedge Re: Failed 200amp SES - 04/14/02 11:40 PM
I came by this equipment at Home Depot.

It is an overhead Murry 200amp meter-panel combination Service Entrance Section.

It has about 20 spaces, the meter area is on the top half and the breaker area is on the bottom half.

Down in the breaker area on both the right and left sides of the breakers it does allow you to stick your hand up toward the meter area, there is a channel that runs up the sides of the meter area from the breaker area but it is only a channel and you cannot get into the meter area because of metal walls.
Posted By: rmiell Re: Failed 200amp SES - 04/15/02 01:09 AM
Straighedge, I just came here from Mike Holt's forum, where you asked this same question. I won't go into detail, as you can go there and read my reply.

Like Tom states, you will have to play by the power companies' rules.

Rick Miell
Posted By: caselec Re: Failed 200amp SES - 04/15/02 03:36 PM
I know the panel your are talking about and have used them before without any problems. I don't know why they would have changed the requirements to no longer permit this type of panel design since the meter is still isolated from the customer conductors. The only disadvantage to this type of design is that the meter needs to be removed to access the top section. I would try talking to someone else at the utility to make sure the first person that turned down this installation was not wrong. If they still refuse to accept it then your local Home Depot should pull this model from the shelves. You also could call Murray and see what they have to say. If they say that the panel DOES meet EUSERC requirements have them talk to the utility. GOOD LUCK!
© ECN Electrical Forums