ECN Forum
Posted By: BrianSparky Clamp-on ammeters - 04/13/02 10:21 PM
Howdy fellow sparkpersons!
I'm looking to buy a new clamp-on ammeter. I already have a great T5 fluke for everyday stuff, but i'm having to do extensive current measurements on 500 MCM, etc. I have always loved Flukes product line, and I've been eyeballing the new 337. However, I stopped by a Home Depot and saw a Greenlee-Textron model 650 for $60. (True RMS, Max hold).
I priced a Fluke 335 at $100+ (true RMS). So my question is...does anyone out there have any experience with either or both...Any recommendations? I don't mind paying for quality(fluke), but don't know of anybody having any experience with Greenlee-Textron.
Thanks and Spark On!
Brian
Posted By: NJwirenut Re: Clamp-on ammeters - 04/13/02 10:44 PM
I use a Fluke 80i-400 current clamp with a Fluke 87 DMM. Measures to 400A. Assuming that you already have a TRMS meter with a 10A range, all you really need is the clamp-on transformer, which costs less than the stand-alone meters.
Posted By: aldav53 Re: Clamp-on ammeters - 04/15/02 04:12 AM
Greenlee is probably ok, but I prefer a Fluke, I like the thinner clamps on the Fluke for hard to get at places. I have a Fluke 36. I Like having both the a/c & d/c amp reading feature.
© ECN Electrical Forums