ECN Forum
Posted By: eman1963 100 amp service - 04/05/02 03:34 PM
Hello hey what r u guys charging for a 100 amp service i charge $750.00 that includes seu about 20' service head meter trim 20 posi panel about 15 breakers ground rod and the rest of parts. hows my price? permit fee included in price

joe
rhode island here
Posted By: Electricmanscott Re: 100 amp service - 04/05/02 08:42 PM
So you're the guy putting in the 20 circuit panels. It drives me CRAZY when I go to do a job where they "already had the service changed, it was such a mess of different boxes". Well guess what lady, I'm adding another box, because the last guy put in a 20 circuit panel and there is no space left. Murray has a 30 circuit 100 amp main breaker panel for about $60.00 at the depot. Oh too answer your question I would charge closer to $900 or more for this. (Massachusetts)
Posted By: Frank Cinker Re: 100 amp service - 04/07/02 10:22 PM
$850.00. Pennsylvania
Posted By: arseegee Re: 100 amp service - 04/08/02 01:01 AM
$750 per 100A underground (up to 400A)
$875 per 100A overhead (up to 400A)

Includes disco, service cable, breakers and at least 32 cir MB panel. No permit fees, no utility connection fees. Arc fault extra. GFI breakers extra. Georgia.
Posted By: eman1963 Re: 100 amp service - 04/09/02 02:35 PM
guys wouldnt a 30 posi panel be to much on 100 amp service people would just keep adding on ohhh!!!!! more spaces the home owner sais!!!!!
Posted By: eman1963 Re: 100 amp service - 04/09/02 02:36 PM
said!!!!
Posted By: CRW Re: 100 amp service - 04/09/02 04:48 PM
There's nothing wrong with lots of spaces/circuits as long as the total load isn't more than the MB can handle. All those circuits are not maxed at the same time. If you keep overloading the MB, then at that point I guess you realize it's time to upgrade the whole service.
Posted By: spkjpr Re: 100 amp service - 04/10/02 02:05 AM
I agree with CRW. Here we must use a min 150 A panelboard. I use 200A 42 space panels and yet have had one overload the Main. Seems just as easy to put in the larger as it is to have to go back and upgrade and deal with poco again. By the way price on upgrading to a 200 A service and reconnecting existing wiring is $700 on average for me.

[This message has been edited by spkjpr (edited 04-09-2002).]
Posted By: Electricmanscott Re: 100 amp service - 04/10/02 11:57 AM
skpjr, that price is outrageously low. Materials alone for a 200 amp service run abou $300-$500 for me. I was doing 200 amp upgrades for about $1200 but now with the afci cost and the time it takes to identify all the bedroom circuits it'll run $1500 and up. By the way what kind of panel do you use, I have never seen one with 42 circuits.
Scott
Posted By: spkjpr Re: 100 amp service - 04/11/02 02:28 AM
Electricmanscott, I goofed. It is a 40 circuit panel, musta lost track when I had to take my shoes off to count them,lol. I use the Square D Homeline panel from the blue house (I know but the price and reliability are right)and I do not currently have to go the AFCI route yet. Our jurisdiction has not gone to the 2002 code, AHJ is kind of slow about upgrading and he is still iffy on when we will move up. I might also mention that I am still trying to get my business to the point I can do it full time, currently work midnight at a factory maint dept. Does seem my price is a little low but gotta go with what the market will bear. May need to re-evaulate pricing.
Posted By: joeh20 Re: 100 amp service - 04/11/02 09:42 AM
Same boat here. I work midnites also and do mostly service calls during the day. After working all night I don't want to give my extra time away. I charge what I think the jobs worth period. If I make a fair profit on the jobs I do get I still think myself and the other full time Electricians in my area are all better off.
I don't get every job I bid either, I suppose they'll always be someone a little hungrier than I am, but I can't let that affect what my services are worth. I adjust my prices to at least twice what my full time jobs pays per hour. This does make me competitive with most everyone else around here. I too wish that I could do this full time and hope to soon, but maybe my failure to bid jobs a little lower has slowed my goal somewhat but I still can get my price on enough work to stay part time busy. The phone still ring every day or so.
Oh, on the subject I priced changing out a 200 amp fuse panel to a square D QO 40 circuit panel to a guy the other day for $1200 and he seemed to think that was too much, so I told him to call around that he had my number.
© ECN Electrical Forums