ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 08:39 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 04:29 PM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
Test Post
by sabrown - 03/06/24 05:29 PM
Solar PV Wiring Errors
by renosteinke - 03/02/24 09:12 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 94 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#145218 03/08/06 04:54 PM
I
ianh Offline OP
Reading the installation instructions on a set of 12V downlighters from a well-known DIY store today, I came across this jem :

This product is designed to operate at safety extra low voltage (SELV) and as such under no circumstances should an earth be connected to it. If earth wires are present then they should be connected together using good quality insulation tape to ensure the continuity of the protective conductors.

How happy would you be if the earth conductors in your house were only held together with insulation tape (good quality or otherwise?!?!).

I had found a socket had been removed in the kitchen at the property I was working on this morning, and the live, neutral and earth wires had been connected together using nothing but insulation tape and guess what - no continuity on the ring on any of the conductors. Not a big surprise really...

Ian

PS - thanks for the UBB info Paul, hopefully the quotes will work when I post this!

#145219 03/08/06 07:28 PM
Hi Ian,
How happy would you be if the earth conductors in your house were only held together with insulation tape (good quality or otherwise?!?!).
Which just proves even more that the people that write these instructions, have absolutely no idea what they are talking about.
Advice like this is going to kill someone one day.
However, no doubt, there is a disclaimer somewhere in the fine-print.

Link Copied to Clipboard