ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Trumpy Offline OP
What do you guys use for connectors at any voltage over your standard single phase voltage?.
Here we would use sockets that look like this:

4-pin, 20A, 500V socket:

[Linked Image]

Usually used for 3-phase Delta loads.

5-pin, 20A, 500V socket:

[Linked Image]

Used for 3-phase Star loads.

Unrelated, but here is a single-phase appliance inlet:

[Linked Image]

T
Only CEE, all sorts of. Most common is red 5 pole (i.e. 4p w/ ground, rated for 400V phase voltage.

P
Ditto here. You might find some of the older style connectors if you search hard enough, but the CEE/IEC309/BS4343 type has been the standard for a good many years.

3P+E for 415V delta connections (mostly motors):

[Linked Image from tlc-direct.co.uk]

4P+E for 240/415V with neutral:

These are the 16-amp versions. 32A are similar, just physically larger.

I
Here in the states we have a colossal array of different connectors. Aside from the IEC309 we have many more.

View this link look at pages 18 to 23 http://www.leviton.com/pdfs/d-503/d-503T.pdf

{Message edited to remove multiple edit messages}

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 10-21-2005).]

I
Actually there are some configurations that are not used any more. 2-15, 2-20, and 2-30 are basically unheard of anymore. 1-15 plugs are very common. 1-15 receptacles can still be found in older instalations but are becoming more rare. As for the other 2pin connectors, ouside of a few combination 1-15/2-15 recepticals I have never even seen any. There are also a few more nonstandard proprietary connectors that are not shown, yet are still seen commonly in industry. Hubbell's Hubbelock is one example. You see it used in hospitals for portable Xray machines and in a few industrial settings.

[This message has been edited by IanR (edited 10-18-2005).]

P
One thing I like about the NEMA flat-blade configurations is the interchangability where appropriate.

For example, a 5-15 receptacle will accept a 5-15 plug or a 1-15 plug (either the polarized or the non-polarized variety) A 5-20 receptacle will accept the appropriate 5-20 or 1-20 plugs, and the 5-15 and 1-15 types as well. Ditto for the 6-xx 240V versions.

Under the old round-pin BS configurations there was no such compatibility. We had both 2-pin non-grounding and 3-pin grounding versions of 5-amp plugs, for instance, but a 2-pin non-grounding 5A plug would not fit a 3-pin grounding 5A receptacle.

To complete the picture on the IEC309 connectors, the other two most commonly used configurations are:

2P+E 240V, used widely in industry for general-purpose single-phase loads, and the 16A version is virtually universal for campsite electrical hookups for RVs and travel trailers:

2P+E 110V, used for our low-voltage building site power tools on a center-tapped 55-0-55V system:

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 10-18-2005).]

D
djk Offline
We're supposed to use the blue 16A fittings for ALL outdoor sockets. BS1363 with weather-proofing isn't allowed by the regs. Directly connected to a 16/20A radial or, if it's a ring... connect via a local fuse (e.g. a 13A spur located inside)
(RCD required as per all >32A socket outlets)

P
We're supposed to use the blue 16A fittings for ALL outdoor sockets.

That seems rather like overkill for a domestic installation, but I suppose they're cheap enough.

Lewden still makes a weatherproof range based on BS546 configurations:

The socket is handy because you can use not only the matching weatherproof plug but also any other BS546 plug (in dry conditions of course).

They make 4- and 5-pin versions for 415V 3-ph, and a BS1363 version for 1-ph.

I
[qoute]That seems rather like overkill for a domestic installation, but I suppose they're cheap enough.[/quote]

I wish we used them more here in the states. Unfotuneatly they are not cheap over here. Where as TLC charges a couple of pounds for a 16A plug, over here they go for anywhere between $30-80 [Linked Image]

D
djk Offline
Paul,

The weather-proofed BS1363 sockets do appear in outdoor domestic installations, but a contractor's not supposed to install them. They're sold by the likes of B&Q ... as are cooker control switches with a socket (also banned by the regs here)

Here's the quote from the ETCI's FAQs for consumers.

Q: Are there special plugs and sockets for outdoor installations and if so why?
A: Yes. We like most mainland Europe countries do not consider indoor plugs to be suitable for outdoor installations subject to weather and rough handling and so ordinary 13A sockets to I.S. 401 are not suitable for outdoor use. Like all socket outlets up to 32A, they should be protected by an RCD. The Rules require that outdoor sockets and industrial sockets comply with IS/EN60309 standard. In this system both the plug and socket are hard wearing and are deemed to be suitable for outdoor use. The single phase plug is coloured blue and the socket is inclined towards the ground to prevent the ingress of moisture. They may be more cumbersome than the flat pin plug system but they are safer.

(They're blaiming mainland european practice for their overkill regulations - yet I don't think very many Mainland European countries actually enforce anything quite so strict - then again there are parts of the west of ireland where it can rain horizontally for 7 days or where you can get a type of misty rain "mizzle" that requires ships deck fittings to be 100% safe [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by djk (edited 10-20-2005).]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard