ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#143007 04/22/05 09:24 AM
T
To avoid threadjacking Trumpy's thread:
Sweden had a different numbering scheme. i think they used the same dialing scheme as Austria, Don't know when Austria changed though. Must have been around 1960 I think, along with the letter phone numbers being converted to standard ones.

From the beginnings of telephone until the 1920ies Vienna phone numbers were just in the 12672 format. Then numbers like U 25 368 were introduced.
Phones back then lokked like that:

[Linked Image from telephonmuseum.at]
Siemens & Halske, 1920
You can see 0 comes before 1 on the dial so the pulse count is always number+1.

Around 1960 the numbers were changed to 6 and 7 digit numbers without letters. Single lines had 6 digit numbers, party lines were seven digits, the first 6 digits being identical to all subscribers on one line (the maximum being ten, while in the cities no more than four subscribers were on one line).

The W48 phones I've been talking about:

Here you can see all colors they were ever made in, though ordinary people _never_ got others than chamois and black. The green ones were supposedly produced specially for Palmers, a big underwear chain. Every picture is a link that shows you a bigger picture. The light green one has the original hardwired box, the red and the dark green ones have the later phone jack that was used until the early 1990ies.
http://www.telephonmuseum.at/verschiedenes/bakelit1.htm

Party line phones were around until 2001!

Party line phone:

The right-hand push button was the earth button to obtain a line. The disc in the front was the line busy indicator.

#143008 04/22/05 09:26 AM
T
Oh, and by the way.. does that remind you of something?

#143009 04/24/05 03:36 PM
P
Some great old phones there. [Linked Image] To somebody who grew up in the English-speaking world, they just look so European as well, unlike the styling used here, although admittedly that last one doesn't shout "Continental" so much!

It looks as though you always had the number on a separate little plate on your phones instead of on the dial.

Single lines had 6 digit numbers, party lines were seven digits, the first 6 digits being identical to all subscribers on one line

Some of the rural offices in the States used to have a similar arrangement with the last digit selecting the ring cadence applied to the line. On single-party lines though, the numbers were still the same length, always ending in a "1".

The common (at one time) two-way party lines in Britain never had any such association of numbers to parties. The two distinct numbers were simply wired to the relay set to put them on the same pair, so the numbers could be almost anything (e.g. one party might have been 25431 while the other was 28946).

#143010 04/26/05 02:57 PM
T
It looks as though you always had the number on a separate little plate on your phones instead of on the dial.

Yes, even the few new standard phones of today still have it.
In the center of the dial you had the screw holding the front disc in place, and around it you could put a sticker with radio taxi, police, fire department and ambulance emergency numbers. 31300 and 40100 are the best-known and oldest ones.

#143011 04/28/05 06:42 PM
P
Regarding the expansion of telephone numbers to ones with a greater number of digits, some places are very slow to amend their advertising to reflect the changes.

I'm not sure exactly when Stalham numbers went to their present six digits (58xxxx), but it was certainly prior to when I moved here in 1996!

[Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 04-28-2005).]

Link Copied to Clipboard