ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#140129 01/25/04 01:10 PM
C
C-H Offline OP
I have a little problem: I'm looking for a equivalent/explanation of my schooling aimed at a British reader. What do you call the last few years in school in the UK? Sixth Form? High School?

In Sweden the education is divided into steps of three years. First nine years are compulsory and the same for all children, but the last three are intended to prepare you for higher studies or a profession, depending on your choice. It's these last three years that are causing me trouble. The option is simply to omit it from the CV.

#140130 01/26/04 01:58 PM
P
In most places up until the time I left school secondary education ran from ages 11 through 16, and the five years of high school were referred to as the first year, second year, etc. (or in some cases first form, second form etc.).

So for those leaving school at 16 the fifth year/form would be their last year. Those staying on would enter the sixth form for an additional one or two years schooling, often distinguished as the "lower sixth" and "upper sixth." Not all high schools had a sixth form, so students sometimes had to transfer elsewhere.

Sometime between when I left school (1982) and today, they changed the naming. As far as I can tell we now have a grade-like system, where the 12 years of normal schooling are called "Year 1" through "Year 12," so Y12 would be the last year for anyone leaving at age 16.

Link Copied to Clipboard