ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#136712 05/01/03 04:13 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
I've got a 12V cordless Drill, that uses one of them plug-pack power supplies.
It stopped charging last week so I took it back to the place of purchase and was graciously informed that replacements for "this particular model" are no longer available, fancy that, it's only 3 years old and the battery and drill are fine!.
So, not wanting to fork out more cash to buy another Drill, I bit the bullet and decided to have a go at repairing the old PSU.
I eventually(after resorting to using a hammer and cold chisel to split the casing)
managed to access the innards of this thing.
All that's in there was a few discrete components, a tranny and a 5A 3AG fuse.
The fuse was blown, so I changed it and we were back in business!.
But, long story short, I wonder how many people have been told the same thing and HAVE bought a new drill, etc, because of a 50 cent fuse?.
Also, wouldn't it be wiser to have the fuse on the OUTSIDE of the case, considering that it takes a mammoth job to get to it?.
And, what a lie, the statement "No user serviceable parts inside".
What do you guys think of this?.
I was really annoyed, when I found out that it was just a fuse!!. [Linked Image]

C
C-H Offline
You are darn right. If there is a fuse inside, of course it should be possible to replace it!

How about a case that can be opened? Like in the good old days, when they had screws.

T
Or make the fuse accessible from outside. I've got an old wall wart that has screw covers over the fuses.

Trumpy Offline OP
Well, guys, the question I ask is this,
If we have to have our fuses and other protective equipment in an accessible place, why can't the manufacturers of these PSU's?

P
I'm not a fan of the "plug-pack" power supplies at all. I've seen a few where there is a primary fuse, but it's firmly soldered in place: Easy to replace for the likes of us, but probably not for the average user.

Some don't have a normal fuse, but incorporate a thermal overload device on the primary side. Another concern there's been in the U.K. is that some of the real cheap and nasty units don't have any protection on the primary side whatsoever. Plugged into the typical British ring, that leaves the unit protected only by a 30 or 32A fuse or MCB.

Trumpy Offline OP
Paul,
That's a real worry, knowing that all you have to protect one of these little units is a 30A fuse or MCB!.
My charger also had a fast blow fuse in it, which I thought was strange for a device with a tranny in it?.
Suppose it just means that our rubbish tips will fill up that much faster with crook power supplies. [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 05-02-2003).]

S
Fuse? In a wall wart????

What's that? [Linked Image]

Trumpy Offline OP
Sounds like a sort of wild animal, to me!.
Like a wart-hog or something. [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 05-02-2003).]

T
It was a huge animal, I think a power supply for a stone-age ITT answering machine/phone combo (1970ies I guess). 16V output and 2 2A fuses, either primary fuses for line/neutral or secondary fuses for +/-. Really huge and heavy. If you know the old Apple PowerBook 100 series wall warts, the same size but much heavier.
The one for the old Panasonic EasaPhone answering machines sold in Austria/Germany was similar. I once saw the US version of the same machine, much smaller power pack.

Link Copied to Clipboard