ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 302 guests, and 27 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#135479 01/13/03 05:45 PM
L
Can you give me a brief description of how a young person becomes an electrician in your country? Time to be served, training, exams etc. (I am in Ireland, well UK really but thats enough of that!)

regards

lyle dunn
P
PJM Offline
I served my time in Scotland with the power company (SSEB, now Scottish Power). Did two years at their training center, followed by two years "on job" training.

First year, went to technical college on day release, one day a week. Two days a week on subsequent years, and also two evenings a week in years three and four.

Finished up with City & Guilds exam certificates (236 parts 1,2 & C and 236 Supplentary electronics), which they assured me would be recognised worldwide. However when I came to the USA, nobody here has ever heard of City & Guilds!

In my opinion, a very good grounding in the field, but there is not a day goes by where I don't learn something new.

Lyle,
I served my time at Electricity Ashburton,
(the local Power board).
It took 10,000 Hours, of on-the job experience, 1 full year at Polytech,
night courses every Tuesday, for 2 years,
Block courses lasting a fortnight, in the middle of the year(5 of them), and a whole host of exams at the end of my apprenticeship, these being Regulations, Theory and 2 Practical Exams, to make sure you can do all of the required tasks of a Registered Electrician, and do them safely.
It was the Power Board that stipulated the 5-
year apprenticeship, normally it is only 4-years(8000 Hours), over here, but they liked to thoroughly train their staff. [Linked Image]

Lyle,
What are the requirements in Ireland, for registration as an Electrician?.
What motivated you to take up Electrical
Tutoring?, I take my hat off to you, it takes a special type of person to teach new
people to the trade.
But I, bet you know your basic Theory like no-one else! [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 01-24-2003).]

If you do not come from the UK, Ireland or Scotland, can you still apply to sit City and Guilds exams?.
Can anyone help me in this respect? [Linked Image]

P
from the UK, Ireland or Scotland

Don't forget that Scotland is part of the U.K. [Linked Image]

I'm not sure whether there are any restrictions on who can take C&G. You might have a look at their website:
www.city-and-guilds.co.uk

Link Copied to Clipboard