ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 265 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#134839 12/05/02 02:31 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
How would an out-building (shed,garage),
be supplied with Electricity, in your country?.
Is it required to be run underground or over- head?, what type of cable is required in each case?.
If it is U/G, what depth is required?.
Your input please-

#134840 12/05/02 09:53 AM
C
C-H Offline
>How would an out-building (shed,garage),
>be supplied with Electricity, in your
>country?

Underground or simply clipped to a wall or other reasonably secure part of the building. In the latter case "romex" style EKK could be used. I have to admit that I don't know which is the common way today.

(The garage at my parents house is supplied with an old "romex"-style cable on a fence. I had an electrican in to have it replaced, as the outer sheet has disintegrated, but in his opinion it was in good condition. If it failed completely, the RCD would trip, preventing any danger.)

>Is it required to be run underground
>or over-head?,

Over-head is only used by PoCo's.

>what type of cable is required in each case?.

Aluminium "armoured" underground cable is very often used as general purpose wiring for 4mm2 and up. Therefore I would think any underground wiring is carried out with this. In theory, you are allowed to use ordinary aluminium sheated cable provided that it is protected from mechanical damage. If you go through the trouble of U/G, I think you'd drop at least a 5x2.5mm2. (There is little money to save on using a smaller cable)

#134841 12/05/02 01:07 PM
T
Underground. I've seen people hanging extension cords on a piece of clothes line, but this can hardly be considered permanent and code compliant wiring.
Otherwise tough rubber sheathed underground cable is used. Probably also Romex pulled in PVC flex conduit.

#134842 12/05/02 02:34 PM
P
This is one area where DIY wiring in this country is especially bad.

The garage at my parents house is supplied with an old "romex"-style cable on a fence
U.K. Regs. prohibit the fixing of cables to fences, as it's considered that the cable is too susceptible to damage in the event of the fence collapsing.

Feeds to outbuildings may be either overhead or underground here, subject to certain limitations. Have a look here for some details:
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Book/7.13.1.htm
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Book/7.13.2.htm
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Book/7.13.3.htm

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 12-05-2002).]

Link Copied to Clipboard