ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
T
A few days ago one of my favourite boards, www.elektronikforum.com suffered a complete and fatal breakdown due to a data base failure.
It seems like there is no way to restore the old posts than Google web cache.

The members never got the full story, but here's what I've gathered: there _were_ frequent backups (many members got annoyed because they would shut down the enire board at like 5 PM to run a backup). The backups were apparently run over the network, entering a wrong target IP address, basically sending the entire backup to Nirvana. When they tried to get the backup, there wasn't any... some members are fairly mad (which I can understand - how can you run backups for years without noticing they aren't going anywhere?)

C
C-H Offline
I remember in 97/98, the Royal Institute of Technology in Stockholm had a server crash, big time. Backups turned out to have been incorrectly compressed and therefore unusuable. The place has some 10 000 students, many of whom lost lab reports, thesises etc..

R
What a shame, all that info lost.
I had a look on it and it appears to be very interesting.
Luckily I can read and write German reasonably well so I will register at this Forum too.

The product of rotation, excitation and flux produces electricty.
T
Luckily I can read and write German reasonably well so I will register at this Forum too.
So I guess we'll meet there [Linked Image]

I really like that board, the only rather common conflict source is some people who are reading code by the letter and not by the meaning.
I'm one half German myself, so I think I can say that's to some extent a typically German problem - Germans LOVE laws and codes! Austrians tend to have a more relaxed approach (closer to the balcans [Linked Image] ).

One example: One guy wanted to replace a very shoddy extension cords (300m of some weird cord, as he said from the US, only 2ph+N connected in the 5-pin-CEE plug) with the same length of 5x6mm2 fused at 6A to reduce voltage drop, that cord is going to be used for 3 days a year. Everybody agreed that this was OK, but suddenly (after 4 pages of discussion) one guy showed up and claimed this was completely illegal and impossible because voltage drop was still 5% instead of the permitted 3%.
My personal comment: so what??? It's your own power you're wasting! The 3% requirement applies to fixed wiring! (I think that guy wanted to see the entire run to be buried using NYY too)...

Honest to God, once years ago a German teacher of English, [ at a 'Country Dancing' festival in Brittany, of all places], 'gived me a right up-and-downer' for not speaking English properly!

Which I freely admit, I can't! [Linked Image]

Well, he was good, very, very good indeed, so I tried wery, wery hard indeed after that to speak "proper", but I'm afraid I just couldn't copy his Bavarian accent at all.

Alan

Wood work but can't!
T
Ouch! Teachers are special, I know...

Once some class had an exchange with students from Kiev. They were accompanbied by their German teacher. I have to admit we could hardly understand that lady - I have no idea how she could teach them as she didn't speak anything like German herself! The students were surprisingly good.

Our headmistress, a teacher of English, was "nice" too... she was really hard on pronounciation and tried to teach everybody her Styrian accent... and her grammar was creative too.

R
Bump !

I have registered at this forum late 2006 and i have noticed that quite a few of the older posts have been revived.

Somehow the administrators must have copied older backups and re entered those into the database.

I have noticed that as a security measure, topics do get put in the archives and no further posts can be added.
A new thread can be made and referred to, to the older closed off threads.

Kind Regards,
Freundlichen Grußen,
Vriendelijke Groeten,
Bonjour,

Raymond

The product of rotation, excitation and flux produces electricty.
T
Do you really want to know where they got the old threads from? wink

They contacted Google Archives.... laugh

Link Copied to Clipboard