ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#145766 07/19/06 03:25 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
This from Wikipedia:
English Breakfast
Sorry about another food thread, I just wondered if this was still eaten during the weekends, with all the health conciousness around these days?.
Cheers,
Mike.

#145767 07/19/06 06:07 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
LOL,
As a consequence the very strong tea that is often served in such establishments is colloquially known as "builder's tea".
I wonder how the GC's in the US would go on a brew like that, mind you, I guess they're sour enough as it is, without external influences. [Linked Image]

Mmmm, but Black and white puddings, you can't do any better than that for breakfast.
Anyone that mentions the word coronary, will be edited out of this thread. [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 07-19-2006).]

#145768 07/21/06 07:28 AM
Grouchy GCs. Could that be coffee induced torque, perhaps? Whereas, a nice big steaming pint mug of UK Builders', [ the color of road tar and made with 'Gunpowder' Tea, of course ], would calm them all into simpering little angels.

"D'you take sugar in it darlin'?"
"Yes please, ma'am."
"Ten spoons or twelve!"

Wood work but can't!
#145769 07/22/06 06:57 AM
K
As a kid in Glasgow I can remember "Kippers" for breakfast. Mmmmm Kippers !

#145770 07/22/06 07:42 PM
Trumpy Offline OP
Alan,
Gunpowder tea indeed, wouldn't that be a violation of the Terrorism Act to be in possession of such a substance?. [Linked Image]
Kiwi,
I've only ever seen kippers in books, are they smoked fish?.
I can't really see myself eating fish for breakfast any day of the week, I'm sorry I love fish, but not first thing in the morning. [Linked Image]
Toast and coffee and a smoke usually starts my day.

#145771 07/23/06 05:20 AM
"Gunpowder Tea" is [ or was? ] a brand of loose tea out of Assam in India, very dark in color and very strong. I suppose it got its name from the similarity with the military substance!

The kipper is a North Sea herring, which has been split down the middle and flattened out then smoked with oak or beech chips as a preservation method. Unsplit whole herring are called bloaters, [ or in France "Gendarmes" [Linked Image] -there is a passing resemblance!]
The best smoked fish in the world though, as kiwi will no doubt testify, is undoubtably the genuine Arbroath Smokie, a smoked haddock. There is a quarter in Arbroath, Scotland where the traditional smoking of this fish continues.

Wood work but can't!
#145772 07/23/06 09:28 AM
P
I still like a "fry up" sometimes, though it tends to be a brunch rather than for breakfast as such.

As for the black pudding, I've never tried it. I think that's a northern thing.

#145773 07/23/06 05:49 PM
Didn't the 'Goodies' do a song called 'Black Puddin' Bertha'?

Anyway, here's Denise's Black pudding recipe which we used in the 70's & 80's :-

1. Cut pig's throat, after captive bolt-gunning it, and catch as much blood as possible in a bowl, while avoiding getting disembowelled by thrashing legs. [ Who's legs is not entirely clear!].
BTW, this 'bleeding out' of a carcase is essential for health reasons - [ read your Bible ].
2. Stir blood continuously till it cools to stop it congealing.
3. Mix with oatmeal, chopped suet from the pig's kidney area and lots of milled black pepper.
4. This paste is now stuffed into a 'caul' [from the stomach], or into washed intestines as per a sausage, then boiled for 30 minutes and allowed to cool.
5. Slice the pudding and fry the slices. It's quite nice actually, and far better than supermarket ones which tend to break up in the pan to a mush. Plus, of course, you can't eat their stupid black-plastic "skin". They use this to hide the brown color of the factory version, which is pumped full of extra fat, flour, vitamins, soya, sugar, flavourings, preservatives, color etc..

Traditionally, of course, this was all part of the process country folk had of wringing every last bit of nourishment out of the pig and all the hard work they had invested in it, before we all got wealthy and turned into fussy eaters.

And for any 'Goodies' fans: "By 'Eccy thump!" laugh

Alan

Wood work but can't!
#145774 07/24/06 10:56 AM
G
Good post! [Linked Image]

I once had such breakfast (I'm from Hungary).
That was:
starting with some strong suff, palinka or unicum for example, eggs with mushroom, 2 kinds of salami, bacon, marmelade, honey, butter, some bread, tea or cocoa.

Usually I have this while I'm on holiday. (every 5 years)

Now I hardly eat something for breakfast, but no matter what I eat, I'm hungry at noon. [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by Gloria (edited 07-24-2006).]

The world is full of beauty if the heart is full of love
#145775 07/24/06 03:19 PM
G
The black pudding is great stuff! The fried slices with a breakfast are good enough, but the best way to eat them is whole smaller whole ones, boiled and served with apple sauce and mashed potato.
Now that's not too unhealthy is it ?

The full English breakfast, to me, is a treat when staying in a hotel that offers it. Now that keeps you going all day, so avoiding seeking a bar snack at lunch time so that's a healthy option too !

QED !

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard