ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#144816 01/19/06 05:42 PM
S
SvenNYC Offline OP
Has anyone who has visited Spain run across one of these?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unusual_and_obsolete_plugs_and_sockets

Wonder how Spain ended up with this style of connector. Probably an effort by the Franco government to isolate the country and boost local manufacturing?

It's similar to the American domestic three-pin plug, but the spacing between the pins is very different.

#144817 01/20/06 04:51 AM
D
djk Offline
Yes, I have seen these in Spain, but I am not sure that they're obsolete. They were used on a circuit supplying heaters. I think they may have a very high rating for heavy appliances that need >16A. Although, that plug seems to be rated 16A/250V...

They may also be Spain's alternative connector used for special purposes e.g. the way BS546 round pin connectors are used in the UK.

I notice the socket's fused too. Could it have been a Spanish implementation of ring circuits using fused socket outlets rather than fused plugs?

Like in the UK and Ireland there may also have been an effort to get rid of 2 pin configurations that allowed grounded plugs to be mated with ungrounded round pin outlets by introducing a new totally incompatable system.

Perhaps it was tried and abandoned as schuko became the defacto standard across Europe. Even the italian system is going that way.

[This message has been edited by djk (edited 01-20-2006).]

Link Copied to Clipboard