ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 373 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#142074 12/06/04 06:12 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
Those of you that have been in the Chat Rooms as of late, would know that we lost 3 Faultsmen.
Personally, I'm quite glad that they went.
But one did return and sure, he still has to get back into regular work with us, there is a lot of ill-feeling between us and the ones that did leave.
But there was a thing that the other team of Faultsmen, didn't like that really rubbed us other people up the wrong way:
  • I don't like going out after 10pm at night.
  • I don't like going out into the country.
  • I don't like walking across open fields, where there could be Bulls or Cows in that field.

Personally, I've walked over heaps of paddocks to change HV fuses at 2 AM and have never been worried by the cattle/sheep or whatever.
Lets just get real here!. [Linked Image]

#142075 12/06/04 07:22 AM
P
Seems to me that they might just be in the wrong job, or at least the wrong branch of the job.

I don't like going out after 10pm at night.
Few people probably do, but it comes with the territory, surely? If you don't want a late-night call out, take a 9 to 5 job. When I was with BT, I just accepted that telephones are a 24-hour service and that sometimes that would involve trouble-shooting at unsociable hours.

I don't like going out into the country.
Beats having to go to some of the rough neighborhoods of the cities, in my opinion. But then that's coming from a city-born boy who has lived in rural areas for many years and wouldn't even consider living in a big town again. [Linked Image]

#142076 12/06/04 03:33 PM
A
Good points Paul, lots of people tend to forget when they join this industry, we are a part of a service industry and as such that will involve working unsociable hours at times. I say if you dont like the idea dont join the trade.

#142077 12/06/04 08:27 PM
U
There's really no answer to that is there? It's like a sewer-man saying he doesn't like working underground. As you say; "get real".

I don't like being called out at ungodly hours either - I operate a 24Hr callout and frequently get 5.00am calls from farms with problems, as well as even smaller hours to attend an errant intruder/fire panel. If I dodn't do it I would only be doing half a job as I advertise the facility.

Hopeless. [Linked Image]

If hindsight were foresight, we'd all be millionaires!
#142078 12/12/04 09:32 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
Yeah,
It's as outlandish as it sounds.
Myself and two other Faultsmen are trying to do the work of 6 at the moment.
Mind you we have always been 1 short, I just hope that we can (fingers crossed) get a young fella (or girl) coming out of school at the end of this year that want's to start an Electrician's Apprenticeship and then head into Faults/Lines.
The training is there, just get the kiddies into it and away from being Lawyers and Accountants, oh and IT!, GRRR.
But hey, I've got the tea pot warmed up, for them!. [Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard