ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#139941 01/06/04 03:47 PM
:
:andy: Offline OP
check out this one, just for the picture

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3265115638&category=23325

short partially translation:

"The supply cable is equipped with a high quality copper-shielding, blocking HF fields not to disturb the Power supplying of your high end audio equipment. Due to the high purity of the copper (addition by me: !!!), the cable has a very low resistance (0,017 Ohms per wire). This guarantees an impulse-fairly supplying. The shielding quality of your equipment gets optimized, when you use our cables on all your pro audio equipment. "

"The phase is marked, so you can easily connect your appliances." (add by me again: IDIOTS! Plug reversed, phase isn't phase anymore).

My conclusion: I hate sellers like these. What do you call them guys, that cheat on people this way and want 39 Euros for 5 Euro crap?

High copper purity, what the "?%², the hundreds of meters supplying wire to the outlet, as well as Plug&Receptacle don't have any resistance, do they...

p.s. 0,017Ohm per 1,4m at 1,5mm² calculates out to the standard specific copper resistance. Very high elite purity.

And these Ferrules, pure silver i guess.

And: They didnt even connect the shield to ground [Linked Image]
perfect disturbance from oscillating capacitive load on the shield.

What's your meaning on this product of the year?

[This message has been edited by :andy: (edited 01-06-2004).]

#139942 01/06/04 04:07 PM
T
"The phase is marked, so you can easily connect your appliances." (add by me again: IDIOTS! Plug reversed, phase isn't phase anymore).

Gotta be a joke, isn't it? How F*in stupid can you be?????? _That's_ a ripoff!

#139943 01/06/04 04:15 PM
:
thats theword i was looking for [Linked Image]

#139944 01/06/04 05:40 PM
D
djk Offline
well it looks prettier than regular cable.

What's with the core colours? 2 Black cores rather than brown and blue?

#139945 01/07/04 05:47 AM
P
There are some "audiophiles" who actually believe all this nonsense. Logic clearly doesn't apply to those who insist that every link in the chain has to be platinum-coated, oxygen-free pure copper wires, extruded during the correct phase of the moon on the night of the summer soltice, etc.

How they manage to ignore the fact that the rest of the power network and the recording studios that turned out the tape/record/CD didn't use this fancy wiring I don't know.

The famous words of P.T. Barnum spring to mind.....

#139946 01/07/04 12:43 PM
:
djk: two black wires are usual in industrial use. they have numbers 1 and 2 printed on. (or way more, when bigger cable)

PaulUK: What words are you talking about? sorry, don't know this one...

#139947 01/07/04 01:23 PM
D
djk Offline
Andy:

As far as I'm aware here in Ireland 2-black cores wouldn't be at all acceptable, particularly in an industrial setting. We like to keep things properly polarised where possible. 2 core single phase cable MUST be blue (neutral) and brown (phase L1) in all cables fixed or otherwise.

A number of years ago the use of black cable for neutral was banned in all new installations or extensions to old installations. To allow black to be reintroduced as a phase colour in the new harmonised 3-phase coding system.

Heavy industrial cable is a different "kettle of fish" completely. You're talking BIG stuff .. this is a LV cable and should comply with European LV rules.. which i would have thought included colour codes.

[This message has been edited by djk (edited 01-07-2004).]

#139948 01/07/04 02:05 PM
:
these are called "multicore" cables, and they're available up to 60+ poled.

we cant keep things properly polarised, as our schuko plug isnt...

#139949 01/07/04 03:44 PM
T
Didn't we have some discussion on that subject in the US section some time ago? Someone even came up with an ingenious pic of the gold plated HV transformer for those audio nuts.
I can't really understand those people, I'm really into good sound, but some of my RCA patch cords came from the dumpster and I don't see any need to replace them. Most of my audio equipment was once pretty high-end but is real old and I nearly got it for free. The prices in the high-end audio sector are nothing for the faint-hearted.
Oh yeah, best thing: Imagine somebody using that cord in some rural area, 800m away from the transformer, 10 other houses on the supply cable (overhead of course), with the constant harmonics of your neighbor's table saw and angle grinder in the line...

#139950 01/07/04 09:53 PM
D
djk Offline
People just don't undestand these things.

The main thing with audio cables is to make sure that they're properly sheilded and don't crosstalk and are physically well connected.

Sheilding in studios has become MUCH more of an issue since the dawn of all of the wireless devices we cary these days. GSM phones in particular..

As for the power supply if you're really fussy use a filtered supply ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard