ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 255 guests, and 18 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#134238 10/29/02 02:16 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
How far is the DIY'er allowed to go in your country,with respect to electrical work?.
Over here in 1992, the then Government, reworked the Electricty Regulations, to allow homeowners to do their own electrical
work, provided that a Registered Person tested and connected the installed work.
As a Fire-Fighter, I have put a number of these houses out, they were just hooked up,
no registered person involved.
Your input please?.

#134239 10/29/02 06:26 AM
T
As far as Austria is concerned, a DIYer is allowed to put in conduit and pull the wires and boxes or install cable. An electrician has to make all connections and stuff. That's what we did when we relocated our meter. In theory, a DIYer would also be allowed to do all his wiring if he has it checked by a licensed electrician WHO HAS FULL RESPONSIBILITY FOR THE WORK DONE! So I doubt there's any sparky who'd do that.

#134240 10/29/02 06:54 AM
P
You've probably got this point already by now [Linked Image], but in England a DIYer is legally allowed to do any wiring he likes, including a total rewire if he so wishes.

#134241 10/29/02 08:00 AM
S
the US has a wide range of bureacracy here, there are some stringent states, as well as those where anything goes.

#134242 10/29/02 08:45 AM
C
C-H Offline
Sweden: See Austria. You are allowed to replace switches, sockets and the like. The electricians union of course claim that only electricians should do this, at $50/h [Linked Image]

Having said this, D-I-Y work is common and there is a shortage of electricians. This means that much small scale commercial wiring is done by laymen. (Connecting power for alarm systems, emergency lights and other add-ons to old buildings. I've seen really scary "sparky-killers" that have looked like neat wiring.)

Electricians consider us engineers to be the worst D-I-Y'ers, and rightly so. (A friend had wired up a fuse box outdoors (!) with old reused single insulated wires tied to nails on the wall (!). He used the fuses as light switches...)

Regards,
The criminal

#134243 10/29/02 10:39 AM
B
Here a DIYer can do anything, bbut it has to be inspected by a independant inspection firm before the PoCo branches it. The same applies (about the inspection) for qualified electricians.

#134244 10/29/02 06:52 PM
D
Too bloody far for my liking!
Go down to the electrical wholesalers on a Saturday morning & you find Mr (or Mrs) DIY.
Mr DIY: "I want some wire!"
E.W.: "What size?"
Mr DIY: "I don't know, it's for wiring a shower"
E.W.: "You'll want 6 or 10mm then, what's the loading of the shower......etc.

I've witnessed the above on several occasions. Then they go home & wire a nice little death trap for their family & future unsuspecting homebuyers. [Linked Image]

I'm sure you will all be surprised to learn that I don't approve of DIY electrical work!

There is talk of requiring all electrical installations that need a Building Warrant Electrical Completion Certificate to be carried out by a "competent enterprise".
However this is a couple of years away & will only stop DIY work on new installations & alterations where Building Warrant is required.
I think this is a step in the right direction (if it happens), but I would like to see DIY wiring limited to replacing broken accessories only.
I would also like to see all electricians compulsorily licensed.
(Steps down from soap box.)

#134245 10/30/02 02:07 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
David,
I have seen the senario at the wholesaler,
they stand there, in droves, all demanding what they asked for, even if it does not exist, while you are standing in line to get a single Earth rod, I happened to murmur
"Hurry up!" and wow, the sneers and filthy looks.
One woman was told that she was not allowed to install an RCD into her own s/board, there was an explosion, I can tell you.
Some people have no idea, eh?.
[Linked Image]

#134246 10/30/02 08:47 AM
C
C-H Offline
David! I have a slightly different suggestion. Anyone who wishes to do any work except replacing accessories is required to have a limited license. A theory exam and a practical test should be enough. This license is limited to unpaid residential work. For paid work or work in commercial environments it will only be good for minor work on existing circuits. (Lot's of installers just need some power for their system, not a whole new circuit.)

Rest of work is reserved for real Electricans.

#134247 10/30/02 12:40 PM
S
David UK said:

"I would like to see DIY wiring limited to replacing broken accessories only."
--

I'm a DIY guy and I fully agree with you.

I believe all connections to the fuse box should be made by a licenced electrician, especially when you live in an apartment where you can't easily shut off power to your own fuse box.

In that case you certainly need someone who is familiar with working with live electricity and knows what they're doing.

However, I've noticed even some simple (to me) tasks such as replacing a cracked socket or a burned out switch are beyond the scope of a lot of people.

These are the same folks who shove the fiberglass insulation from the fixture "rose" up into the wall box, wire them in with pig-tail leads made out of .75mm "lamp cord" (disintegrates in the heat generated by the bulb enclosed in the fixture) and use TWO 100-watt bulbs in a fixture rated for two 60-watt bulbs max; leaving me with crumbling cables I now have to rip out of the ceiling and replace!!!

I've encountered these problems in the last two flats I've lived in. It's scary, to say the least.

Frankly, if you don't know how to replace, or install a plug on an appliance or toss out the entire lamp just because the bulb socket has worn out, you certainly have no busines messing with the wires in the wall!!!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard