ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 08:39 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 04:29 PM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
Test Post
by sabrown - 03/06/24 05:29 PM
Solar PV Wiring Errors
by renosteinke - 03/02/24 09:12 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 94 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#177141 04/23/08 04:34 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
Want a better defrag program than WinXP gives you?
Try this one, it is FREE.
I've been using it for the last 3 months, no complaints so far.
Here is the link: here

This will not work with any versions older than XP.

G
I didn't think defragging was that important with the new file system. Wasn't that one of the selling points?

Greg Fretwell
J
I downloaded and ran it a few times this weekend. It does work without restarting over and over again as the canned program tends to. It leaves some huge gaps between files though. Maybe part of it is the huge files associated with capturing DTV and video. The auto function defaults to running during <=40% CPU resource usage. It started while I was watching a DTV program and it caused frequent pauses. I tried lowering the resource limit to as low as 5% but that doesn't help. But other than knowing that I'll need to turn it off when I'm using the tuner/capture card, 2 thumbs up! Thanks for sharing, Mike!
Joe
My results are based on a dual core Pentium @ 3.0GHz w 1GB ram running XP Pro
Joe

G
WoW, mIke, this rulez. Did you try the registry error fixer too?

The world is full of beauty if the heart is full of love
Trumpy Offline OP
Originally Posted by gfretwell
I didn't think defragging was that important with the new file system. Wasn't that one of the selling points?

Greg,
I tried a little experiment a few months ago, by purposely not defragging my XP computer, for 2 months I let the thing slide.
After the first month, I noticed the computer starting to slow down slightly, even though I was still doing spyware and virus scans every few days, these scans were also getting slower as time went by.

Come the end of the 2 months, I opened the Windows Defrag application and clicked "Analyze", I was met with a long red bar in the disk usage space, with a few blue bars in amongst it.

I am of the opinion that Windows XP, merely throws files into the disk on you computer in any place that it will fit, no matter how long it will take to find it again later.

The reason I went looking for this Smart Defrag program in the beginning, was that I found I was having to do 2, even 3 defrags with the XP version to even get the drive to anywhere near normality.
And I also found that there is also a point of diminishing returns with the XP defrag as well, after 3 defrags, it will refuse to defrag any further.

Sorry Greg,
To answer your original question,
If you didn't need to defrag your disk, why then did XP come with the Disk Defragmenter application?
I'm pretty sure it wasn't put in there for the fun of it, or was it?

G
I guess I still don't understand why people stop using FAT then. Other than the 4 gig file limit and bad disk usage with small files I am not sure what the down side is.
I sure like being able to boot a diskette and see my drives when I am having trouble.

Greg Fretwell

Link Copied to Clipboard