ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#132193 06/04/05 05:13 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
Guys,
I've had the shock of my life tonight.
I've been getting warnings to update through Windows Update and while that isn't usually a problem, I found out that my Windows XP isn't "legal".
It was already on the computer when I bought it and there is no certification with it.
However, the reason I found this out was because, seems my XP is not legitimate, I can't install Service Pack 2.
Now I realise that you can't shut the barn door once the horse has bolted and I have never had a problem without it.
Should I just carry on without it or should I investigate ways of getting SP2 to install?.
I'm at a bit of a loss to understand how this has happened, because I've been using this computer for about 3-4 years now and I've never had a warning that my XP version was not legal.
Hmm, a storm in a tea-cup?

#132194 06/04/05 07:14 AM
J
I'd feel very very nervous about using XP without SP2, especially if you are on a DSL or cable "always on" connection. It is an operating system that suffered from too many security issues, and the reason for the release of SP2 was to strengthen it against the trojans and worms.

Even if you don't *see* a problem you would need a network sniffing tool to be confident that the computer is not already 'owned' in a zombie network. This is currently the biggest risk with an unpatched computer, and often goes undetected for a long time because the trojan horse that takes ownership normally has a small footprint and is relatively well-behaved.

#132195 06/04/05 09:57 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
So, what do I do about it?
Buy a "legal" version of XP?.
I don't think so, for the money Windas, offers nothing.
I'd sooner start again with a Linux base.
At least you have the option of open source programming, not the dictatorial Microshaft idea of you have to use our stuff.
BTW, this isn't a rant at you Jooles, thanks for your reply.

#132196 06/04/05 10:30 AM
J
Well, I think you know my opinions on the Windows platform by now [Linked Image] I have to keep up-to-date with it because some of our customers want support for it, but for preference give me a nice unix/Linux/MasOS system any day.

A modern Linux distribution is a lot easier to use than the ones of a few years ago were. We've had a lot of success with SuSE but there is no special reason to choose that one above any of the others.

Provided you can see clear migration paths for all you applications (eg. MS Word/Excel -> OpenOffice, Quickbooks -> gnucash, etc) I'd say you shoud go for it.

If you stick an extra hard disk in the computer, you can put linux on that and have a dual-boot system, so that XP can be kept for a emergencies while you do your migration at your own pace. Might be less stressful than an all-eggs-in-one-basket approach.

#132197 06/04/05 10:54 PM
G
Are you sure it is really an illegal copy?
It may just be that the machine was upgraded and the profile doesn't match what it was when the copy was registered

Greg Fretwell
#132198 06/07/05 02:19 PM
A
With XP if changes were made to the hardware XP will think it is a copy on a different machine.

I would try finding a number for Windows. They might have a hot line for pirate software. Tell them all the details what you have where you got it. Maybe it's just a glitch in the software. Maybe they will take care of you.

I would also try go back to where I got the computer.

If you have a manufacture try calling them.

If you have to you could try Ebay. But you want the full store version. Not an upgrade. Many factory PC's version of windows will only work on that PC.

This is why I don't want a box store PC. You best when you buy each part seperate. Then you know what you have.

Tom

#132199 06/17/05 04:57 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
Good Lord was I angry last night!
I called the Microsoft NZ Anti-piracy line.
I got shifted from pillar to post for 2 and a 1/2 hours.
Luckily it was a free call number.
But I'm still none the wiser, the guy that built this computer for me passed away 2 years ago.
He built the system for me to say thanks for all the Hardware repairs (Monitors, M/Boards, etc) I did for him while he ran an Internet Cafe.
He was diagnosed with cancer so he wanted to see the world.
Anyhow, try and tell some young, just out of school IT "technician", that story!.
All he did was refer me to the Anti-Piracy webpage(which was where I had bloody well come from in the first place), and get this, you aren't asked for a code on your computer(like as in a series of numbers or whatever).
You have to tell Microshaft what colour your "sticker" and your "CD" was and if it had a "feathered edge"
Basically, I have to buy a new version of XP.
Which anyone that knows me well enough, won't be happening.
Linux here I come!
So watch out for a plethora of Linux questions coming up in this area.
I've had enough of Microshaft.

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 06-17-2005).]

#132200 06/17/05 11:48 AM
G
I am still on W/98. I have 2 good serial numbers and that is plenty for me.
Nobody ever showed me the advantage to going to XP.
I still have 4 DOS machines (MP3 players)

Greg Fretwell
#132201 06/17/05 12:19 PM
C
Trumpy, I feel your pain there, having recently discovered my copy of windows 2000 is non-kosher. I suspected as much [$50 US when everywhere else was asking 200...]

Still it stings when you get told you have to go buy XP [because M$ don't sell 2000 anymore].

I am actually considering purchasing XP pro for this one, but making it dual boot with Linux, or should that be triple boot, because I still have 98 on here too.

Link Copied to Clipboard