ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 96 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#131772 03/21/04 10:59 AM
F
My hard drive space is almost all used up. What is the first thing I should do to free up some space? Would deleting photos help or should I un-install some things. For example I have NFPA 2002 NEC code changes installed on hard drive among other items that take up much space.
One other unrelated question...Where can I find online definitions of terms such as router, modem, hub etc.

Thanks,
Frank Ciner

#131773 03/21/04 10:08 PM
Broom Pusher and
Frank;

One optin is to buy an additional H.D.D. and install it as a "Slave" Drive (Slave to the existing "Master" Drive). This gives you two separate drives to store Data on, and best of all you can keep the original drive as C: - with all the Data, applications and best of all - the operating system + drivers do not need to be reinstalled!!!

After the new slave drive is installed and configured (set jumpers, connect cables and verify settings in the CMOS BIOS utility), you will need to run FDISK to create Partition.
Need to work from a DOS prompt (boot directly to DOS by holding down the F8 key just before POST will end - then select #5 - Command Prompt Only).
Once at the DOS prompt ( C:\> ), type in the command:
FDISK
Then press return (enter).
Choose the selection to log onto the other drive - I think this is #4 or #5 selection. Follow directions on the screen to create a primary DOS partition.

When all that is done, exit FDISK, the Reboot the PC to a DOS prompt again.

Now Format the drive. Do this at a DOS Prompt (boot directly to a command prompt). Type in the following command:
Format D: /U
then press return (enter).
The /U switch is an unconditional switch.
Answer the questions until FORMAT says everything is A-OK!!!, then Reboot the PC as normal (to Winders).

After all this baloney is done, you may Copy / Paste your Data Files to the newly installed Drive D:, or install new applications to that drive.
Don't move any applications - only your Data (pictures, text documents you have created, etc.).

Feel free to ask as many questions you need before taking this on.

If this sounds like too much, you could un-install which ever applications are not used, or delete Data files - or both.
Use the proper Uninstall routines for applications. Data files may be thrown away manually.

Another option would be to use a CD-R / RW drive, and save your Data files to a CD-R. This requires installation of a new drive, and if there's an existing CD-ROM drive you want to keep, the drives will need to be configured as "Master / Slave" like the H.D.D. did.
You can also use the Primary IDE Slave function on the H.D.D. - which may be a better option. Set the new CD-R Drive as a Slave to the existing H.D.D.

Again, let me know if you have questions on this stuff.

Last option would be to compress stuff. Either compress a section of the drive, or get an Archiving Utility - such as PKZIP, and compress your Data files.
.JPGs don't compress very much. .GIFs compress a little, but not much either.
.BMPs on the other hand compress alot! I put over 30 MBs of Bitmapped images on 3 floppy disks, using the highest level of compression with PKZIP.
Text files compress well, and so do many .PDFs and CAD files.

I guess the whole thing relies on just how far you wish to go, and are willing to pay.

Have fun!

Scott35

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
#131774 03/21/04 10:12 PM
Broom Pusher and

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
#131775 03/22/04 07:19 AM
F
Thank you Scott

Link Copied to Clipboard