ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 96 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#132301 09/09/05 09:25 PM
Scott35 Online Happy OP
Broom Pusher and
Anyone have suggestions for a really good (good = multi function + stable) Telephony based Application for use on a PC with Windows XP Pro?

I'm talking about an application which has fax-back features, answering machine / voice mail, and can be used with 2 or more POTS lines (I'll be using 2 separate call-in numbers).

I had one on a pre-loaded PC back in 1996, which had great possibilities - but was as unstable as a 2- legged table!
It worked great when it was tweeked just right, but tweeking took eons, plus some functions would send it to "Infinite Paradox Land", resulting in massive re-tweeking to get it working again.
Not very fun at all!

Any ideas???

It would be cool to write my own application, just think of how much fun it would be to unleash this on the Telemarketers that call me!!! [Linked Image]
< insert evil laughter >

Scott35

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
#132302 09/21/05 06:02 PM
Scott35 Online Happy OP
Broom Pusher and
***Bump***

Hello, is anybody in there???

Scott35

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
#132303 09/22/05 02:26 AM
J
Hello hello! I'm here [Linked Image]

Unfortunately I don't know of anything that will *exactly* meet all your requirements, as I don't keep up-to-date with what's available for Windows any more.

One avenue of thinking that is more or less cross-platform is that external modems these days typically have ansafone capabilities and fax, and the software that comes with them is very easy to convert for any platform because it normally needs only to sent AT command strings to activate the appropriate functionality. Modems like this are inexpensive nowadays. Provided your host computer has a pair of free serial ports, it might be a good way to do what you want.

The other advantage is that this method does not necessarily require the host computer to be left running at all times -- saves energy, less noise, etc. although whether or not this is true in your case depends on precisely what your requirements are.

Hope this is of some help.

j

#132304 09/22/05 02:41 AM
J
Here's a reference.

http://www.zoom.com/products/dial_up_external_serial.html

I have an old zoom modem which I think is the model before this in the Spares box; not needed much since we went broadband, but it did do all the voicemail stuff, and faxes. It worked reliably and effectively for several years and I recommend them.

I am not sure if they are available for USB, but there is something quite reassuring about old-style serial technology for this kind of application, because I *know* I can make it work even in an emergency with even an emergency boot diskette and some sort of old DOS program like Telix or ProComm -- no need to worry about drivers and the like.

#132305 11/24/05 11:38 AM
G
Hi!

We sell our customers adapters with which you can use the same telephone for voip, pstn, and fax, and anything.

If you need further info, check these products please.

(No commercial pres, we don't purchase devices, and I'm in Hungary. [Linked Image] )

Linksys http://www.inphonex.com/products/linksys.php

Grandstream http://www.voiptalk.org/products/Grandstream+Handytone+ATA-286

The world is full of beauty if the heart is full of love

Link Copied to Clipboard