ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#131115 12/15/02 10:04 PM
I've been having a really odd problem lately where my computer clock can lose as much as 4 - 5 minutes per hour. I've had batteries die on the Motherboard, and clock became wrong, but never had it run slow. Anyway, I replaced the Battery and no help.

I think I've resolved the problem by getting rid of Mcafee Viruscan 5.x after reading some related threads somewhere on this 'Lost Time' thing. Others reported similar situations where the clock can lose time while computer is on but corrects itself after a shutdown or reboot. I didn't notice if it corrected itself on my machine, but it may have. Other symptoms were a jerky mouse and 'delayed action' on many things. Strange stuff!

Much better now, except I can't get Mcafee Viruscan 6.x to install correctly with it's automated Update Feature.

Bill

Bill
#131116 12/15/02 11:13 PM
T
Hi Bill,

What operating system are you using? What's the general rundown on your equipment (memory, processor, speed, etc?)

Finally, how do you connect to the internet--broadband or dialup?

#131117 12/15/02 11:31 PM
T-G,

The machine in question is a P3 1000 w/Win 98 SE w/256M RAM and Dialup connection. Coincidentally (or not) my brother had the same problems with the Mcafee V5.x but didn't really notice the time thing because his clock is synced to an atomic clock somehow and gets reset automatically.

On the Mcafee 6.x problems I was in touch with one of their techs Sat. that gave me some ideas (Manually editing Registry) but it didn't work out. I don't really need the 'Update' feature to function automatically, as I am used to getting the Dat files on my own anyway. So, I'll live with it awhile if I have to.

Bill

Bill
#131118 12/15/02 11:44 PM
T
Hi, Bill.

I just checked on http://www.deja.com and apparently what your computer is experiencing is a "known feature" of Mcafee.

There was one post, the URL of which I will try to paste in here, linking to a patch:
http://www.nai.com/naicommon/download/enginehotfix.asp

[This message has been edited by ThinkGood (edited 12-15-2002).]

#131119 12/16/02 12:42 AM
T-G,

Thanks for the links. I hadn't seen that second page yet. (but I had tried that Hotfix) I had every one of those symptoms listed. It's great to see some confirmation in B & W.

The change to Version 6 seems to have cured my related problems, although it is not functioning with all features. The 'Updater' window fails to open and is also a known problem. I cannot register the Software through the link in the Console either. I will install on my Laptop this week and try to register and see if I can get a FREE upgrade to Version 7.

[Linked Image]
Bill

Bill

Link Copied to Clipboard