ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 274 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
On another Thread We are discussing the practical problems and approaches to connecting Foreign Electrical items (from UK in this instance) to a new or existing home in the US.
https://www.electrical-contractor.net/ubb/Forum7/HTML/000019.html

Assuming that in this case 240v could be supplied for these items are there any other considerations that should be taken into account? Can a piece of Equipment or Electronics require a specific power source configuration (frequency aside) or differentiate between them?

What effects would frequency differences have on different types of electrical items? And is there a way to compensate for them?

Bill

Bill
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

S
Fisrt off, let's consider the 240v here, and there ( other countries)

Our 240V is hot to hot, theirs is hot to nuetral.

Not a big deal, as long as their is a third grounding connection, and no connection of their appliance's nuetral to ground.

If the appliance is a resistive load, not a big deal to go 50 to 60 hz. If it's inductive, motorized, the conversion just makes it run a tad slower or faster, depends which side of the pond your on.

I say this having viewed the converters travelers use, it's simply an X-former.

Ok so far.... please speak up here, i am no authority, this is pure speculation from me.

[Linked Image]

Sparky,

I'm not sure of what exactly, but I'm wondering if some Electronics will run slower also. Specifically things that have some connection to the wave ocillation. Anything with an Electronic timer or clock maybe? I'm just wondering out loud here, hopefully one of our Electronics savvy members will join in soon.

Bill

Bill
O
I found this while looking around it may help
http://www.traveloasis.com/inin.html

L
I can't believe you all took the time to respond - it's so useful. (Except I don't understand half of what you are saying!)

The sort of things we want to take with us to SC are a sewing machine (a gift from my dead Dad). I also have some kitchen appliances which have been gifts which I want to bring. Big appliances like fridge, dishwasher, washer/dryer and range I will be buying in SC - it is mainly things likes a mixer (a wedding gift), a combination micro-wave, a new Dyson vacuum cleaner (a very recent gift).
When we visit SC on a holiday we use plug adapters for a dual voltage hair dryer and for charging the camcorder but that doesn't solve the long term problem of appliances that are not dual voltage.
The other problem is many years of family videos recorded on the British PAL system. Here we can buy video recorders that convert the American system to PAL but is there anything available in USA for converting PAL to USA system?
We have a 5 hour time difference from ET (later)so I probably won't be 'online' when you are - but I do appreciate your help. I am also not used to Forums so please forgive my ignorance.
Looking back over your replies - I doubt we will be building a new house - at least to start with.
Leonie

Administrator
I asked one of our Visitors from 'Across the Pond' to help us out here a little. He wasn't able to post himself (I think I forgot to mention the Registration part - oops!)I hope he'll try again if time permits.

OK First reply to a chat room - ever! What's been written so far seems fine. We work on 230V live to neutral in the UK. Most homes have a single phase supply providing this for all appliances. Some older, or bigger homes have two or three phases. This presents special problems when working to the Regs. with regard to electrical separation - i.e. you can end up with two phases at a light switch and 415V between them. Regarding appliances, if you want to run something from the UK over there, I'd suggest a transformer to change from 110 to 230. This will be OK for resistive loads, but if it has a chip in it or a synchronous motor, your 60HZ will not suit the 50HZ appliance. We have the same problem when students come over here to Sheffield University. They try to run their kit from home and when it doesn't work, they act like proper students and go to the pub!

Jim Fulton
jf@jfulton.com

S
http://www.interpower.com/faqs.html

I have been directed to this company called Panel Components

[Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by sparky (edited 03-26-2001).]

[This message has been edited by sparky (edited 03-26-2001).]

Jim Fulton, (aka Sheffield Sparks)

Thanks for your input here. We have 240v line to line available at Homes also if needed. It is usually only brought to specific appliances that require it. I agree with your suggestion of a stepup transformer from 120v to 230v being best for portable appliances of low to medium wattage. Higher wattage items might cause problems and require dedicated circuits. I am not familiar with Foreign Appliances and if they are of similar wattages as types used here.

We have 1875 watt Hairdryers at 120v that are commonly plugged in on a 15 amp circuit. I personally cannot figure out why that is allowed to happen but I can see that European models could be even higher than that.

Well, anyway, Thank you again for taking the time to correspond with us and I hope that you will join in some discussions here as time permits. We are quite curious about some aspects of your electrical systems and regs. (codes?) And what's a kit? [Linked Image]

Bill

Bill
Leonie,

Perhaps another question that would have some bearing on this is whether you plan to remain in the US or if it is just temporary. If you plan to remain in the US it might be best to avoid installing special circuits and receptacles. You would have to weigh the expense against the expected lifetime of the item. Perhaps the dual voltage items can have US plugs installed on them. Some other items not of dual voltage can have special circuits installed if necessary, but things like hairdryers are really not worth the expense of installing anything special and they do have a relatively short life expectancy from what I've seen. Sentimental items (if they are not electronic) can be dealt with somehow I'm sure.

Sorry, I don't know anything about the British PAL system. Possibly someone else here can help with that.

[Linked Image]
Bill

Bill
L
Thank you all for your time and trouble. I have looked at the links provided and it would appear that for most of the items I need the traveloasis site is great. We are relocating for 5 years initially with a view to making it permanent subject to visas etc. I agree hairdryers are not a big problem - I have dual voltage of those anyway. It was more things like a sewing maching from my father, who is not longer alive, and a brand new vacuum cleaner - also a gift. I would also like to bring my bread maker and food mixer (wedding gifts). I think the transformers or 'step up' converters from Travel Oasis will cover these items. I would still be glad of some advice on the PAL to NSC system if anyone out there knows anything!
Thanks again,
Leonie

Link Copied to Clipboard