ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 376 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#129428 03/14/05 08:23 PM
B
I was asked to install a new High Pressure Sodium fixture near an existing one. From the existing fixture I conduited 50 feet and set the new fixture. Both of these fixtures are controlled by a photo cell on the roof. The existing fixture was existing and old. It must have had a bad starter because it would go on and off at regular intervals. When I first installed the new fixture and tested it, the old and new fixture would "take turns" being on. I wasn't sure what was going on with that. I do know neither had their own photo cell.
Now two months later, the old fixture only blinks and the new one doesn't work. I tested the voltage at the new fixture (feed 120V) and at the socket (54V), so I think the transformer is shot.

Here is my question. I can see why the old fixture is not working (old), but could a problem with that fixture ruin the new fixture?

Let me know if I left out any important details.

Many thanks,
Byron

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#129429 03/16/05 12:15 AM
Broom Pusher and
Hello Bwise;

From the descriptions you have given, it sounds like Lamp failure on both fixtures.
HPS Lamps will cycle on/off when they near the end of their "Life" - more frequently as age increases (age = operation hours).

These must be 150 Watt (or less) HPS Lamps with Medium bases - which would be appropriate from the 54 Volts measured at the Lamp Holder (Med. base socket). These Lamps are 55 Volt Lamps.
If the Lamps are Mogul Base, then the open circuit Voltage is kind of low, and a Ballast replacement may be required.

Be sure the Ignitor on the newer fixture is operational, by installing a known-working HPS Lamp of the same Wattage in the fixture and powering it up. If Lamp does not start, suspect Ignitor failure.
If you have an equivalent, known-working Ignitor, swap it out with the existing Ignitor in the fixture being tested, then power it up to verify Lamp starts.

One last thing - or two [Linked Image] :
<OL TYPE=A>

[*] Verify correct wiring between Lamp, Ballast and Ignitor,

[*] If a PF Capacitor is used, verify it is connected on the "Input" side of the Reactor coil... where the 120 VAC circuit connects,

[*] Verify the Reactor's leads are connected to the correct "sides" - e.g. Input side to branch circuit "hot" wire.
</OL>

If you need wiring Schematic assistance, check the Technical Reference section of ECN for H.I.D. Ballast Schematics.

Let us know of the outcome - and most of all... Good Luck!

Scott 35

edited to fix a blunderful statement! [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by Scott35 (edited 03-15-2005).]

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!

Link Copied to Clipboard