ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 228 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#128509 04/30/03 09:52 PM
E
Elzappr Offline OP
Is there a way to electrically or electronically sense the position of a solenoid coil's armature? Some sort of supervisory device?
I've got a kitchen hood damper that is closed when a t-stat controlled solenoid is energized, OR, when a lever is pulled manually, which also happens to push up the solenoid's armature at the same time that the damper closes (via spring loaded action in the lever mechanism). I can't get any wires down to the solenoid and manual damper control location, yet I need to shut down the exhaust fan up in the roof whenever the damper is closed..whether by manually closing it or by electrically closing it (via t-stat controlled solenoid).
If there is no UL listed module of some sort that can electronically sense the position of the solenoid's armature (when core of the coil is fully in the coil, the impedence should be maximum, right?), then perhaps some sort of flow switch in the duct work could be used to shut down the fan whenever someone shuts the damper..though I'm thinking this would cause some delay, and caving in of the duct work. I don't know what sort of set-up would work, and still please the fire marshall. Any thoughts?

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#128510 05/02/03 08:53 AM
S
There are all sorts of limit switches that would work for you. They could be mounted next to the solenoid to compress with it, or be mounted to thevent itself. They supply a simple dry contact that would either close or open at need. Basically they are what is used on your dishwasher to tell if the door of the dishwasher is closed or not being built into the handle. Honeywell and others manufacture them. Check out Square D catalog section 19 for some ideas. You will want something that is grease resistant especially so that it does not stick on you.

Shane

#128511 05/02/03 04:30 PM
M
there are all sorts of air flow switches that can be very sensitive. I do alot of HVAC work and have worked on lots and lots of different sorts of set ups that will shut down immediately if air flow is interupted.

Link Copied to Clipboard