ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#124606 11/11/06 12:41 AM
Admin Offline OP
Administrator
These pictures are from a residence in Bucks County, PA. The owners of the property went on vacation for two weeks, while their basement was filling up with water from a broken pipe. The water rose to the top of the basement ceiling joists.

- HCE727
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

T
Aaa!

A little scraping with a metal wire brush and she'll be fine.

S
What I find amazing is that nothing in there tripped. They probably ran the sump pumps off electricity from that panel!

T
What does that tell us?
Tap water is often less conductive than you'd think!

Wow. Good point Ranger. What township/borough was this in?

Ian A.

Is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?
I
Less conductive than many think but still plenty of conductivity to deliver a fatal shock.

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
E
man, those service conductors are freakin' DUST, that thing looks like it was just pulled up from the Titanic!

B
Electrolysis at work, baby! Look at that neutral.

I'm still amazed that nothing tripped, that water would have needed an impedence of better than sixteen ohms to avoid tripping out a 15A breaker on a leg-to-leg fault. Given all the contaminants that I'm sure were floating around in it, I'm amazed it was that resistive.

Maybe the water itself kept the breakers from operating? The cooling would mess up the thermal characteristics and the water itself would foul the mechanism?

On a side note, can you imagine coming home and opening your basement door to find water lapping at the top step? That must've been horrifying.

-John

'Kid, this is in Bensalem.

Hank
T
On a side note, can you imagine coming home and opening your basement door to find water lapping at the top step? That must've been horrifying
To some extent I can... About 1 1/2 years ago I came home to a sound of heavily running water. When I went down into the dark basement fumbling for the light switch I thought: "What's that weird feeling around my shoes???" Looked down to realize I was wading in almost 2 inches of water...

Some ingenious kid had turned on the sink at full blast, filling it with more water than the drain could take... go figure. Took three of us more than half an hour with buckets and shovels.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard