ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#118748 10/27/04 01:11 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
Hi there Guys,
A few weekends back, I was sent on an Officers course with the New Zealand Fire Service.
With the course being over a full weekend and also being 100km away in Christchurch, it necessitated that I stay in a motel.
Before leaving on the Sunday evening, I thought I'd grab a few pics of the electrical stuff in the unit, for your perusal.

First off, we have a shot of the switch-board in the unit, there is only the one RCD (GFCI) and that protects the hair-dryer in the Bathroom.

[Linked Image]

Next up, it's the hair-dryer that has the RCD all to itself:

[Linked Image]

Here's the Mirror light, this one didn't actually work, this is an incandescent fitting and by the looks of things, the bulb has seen better days.

[Linked Image]

The obligatory International shaver socket, these are usually supplied from a nearby lighting circuit here.

[Linked Image]

Here's a picture of how the bedside lamp and alarm clock were connected, but see in the pictures, how the wires are run through the bedside unit. [Linked Image]

By the way, I only noticed that emery board and the hair salon card on the bedside table when I went to edit these pictures, I have no idea how they got there, the key is mine though.
Spooky!. [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 07-11-2006).]

Trumpy Offline OP
Here is the Permanent connection unit that supplies an IR heater over the window to the left.
Sorry but the pic of the actual heater never came out to well.

[Linked Image]

Here are the pics that were missing from my original post:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Ok that's all I think!. [Linked Image]

{Edit: Small typo.}

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 10-27-2004).]

:
Nice pictures.

I dislike:
-The flex cable connections on the bottom pictures. Very unusual here. Shall this protect from stealing desk lamps etc?

-Breakers with the "on" position downwards! Never seen that in europe.

C
Why Shavers only?

Theres always enough room in the junction box.You just need a bigger hammer
C
Mike,

That seems like a lot of circuits for one motel room! Especially considering everything is at 240 volts.

Peter

Peter
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
The electrical aside I think your room key is most intriguing. Looks like a skeleton key from what I can see and they went out here in the states around what, 1900?
In fact most hotels here now issue a programmed card as the room key.

Neat stuff

W
That seems typical. At least your outlets were in reach. At the hotels my old job could afford, I usually had to move the bed to plug in my laptop. I don't have that problem with this job; the hotel rooms have outlets mounted above the desk surface.

Anyway, the cords for the clock radio and bedside lamp always seemed to just barely reach.

James

[Edited to add]
I double-checked. What outlets, everything in your room was hard wired! Where do you plug in the hot plate?

[This message has been edited by WiseOwl (edited 10-27-2004).]

Mike, it looks like a nice, clean room [Linked Image]

Is that "Federal" company connected with our beloved "Federal" in the States?

OK, discounting the emery board and card, did you have to drag a trailer behind your car to carry all of your reading material?? [Linked Image]

G
That's not his room key.... that's for his truck. Mike's PROBABLY gonna have to update one day soon. [Linked Image] , but you know how them Kiwi's are. [Linked Image]

T
Why Shavers only?
Cuz it's on a 20VA isolation transformer.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard