ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#116567 04/11/04 09:31 PM
Could someone please help me with the box fill calculation for this splice kit! I unearthed this "splice kit" on a service trouble call. The home was built by a plumber in the 60's.

Jeff N.

[Linked Image]

N
What's the problem with that?

12 fluid ounces = 21.65 cubic inches.

[Linked Image]

S
That looks like a steel beer can. You probably won't have that problem of aluminium and copper reacting and corroding. [Linked Image]

Last time I saw one of those (it was a Pepsi Can) I found as a kid digging through a pile of garbage for recyclable aluminium soda cans to sell at the supermarket for the nickel deposit back in 1989 or something like that. My mom threw it out a few weeks after I brought it home. [Linked Image]

Take the can, wash it and see if you can sell it on Ebay for a couple of bucks. No joke.

I wonder how many cans of beer said "plumber" had drank before he thought up this little gem...

[This message has been edited by SvenNYC (edited 04-11-2004).]

D
It's in better shape than some "listed" boxes I've discovered!

ROFL.... Thats cool! [Linked Image] I found a ton of those beercans under a house about a year ago while running a bond for the water system... I've never actually seen one being "used" in such a manner though!
If he'd used a "tall boy" he would've had room to cap off the white conductor to the left also! [Linked Image]

-Randy

:
On vacation in Italy last year, one evening a part of the ~5 y.o. streetlamps along a sidewalk on the beach went dark. The next day, two italian sparkies started digging sand away just at our beach place, where one light's pole was placed. I was really amused by what came up. about 1,5 feet deep there was a concrete plate, they removed it, and under there was a small "box" about 1x1x1 ft. looked like made of concrete too, at the bottom was wet sand.

Their splice was 3-phase+n+GND AWG10 or 12 coming and going, and one 1phase+N+GND off to the lamp.
It was just taped!! A specific water-tight box would be prescribed here, at least in GErmany.

so guess how thes fixed it (two wires had shorted in the taped splice).
just opened up everything, and crimped it into ferrules (never seen that type of connection).
tjey just crimped the supply line and the lamp's wires into one side of the ferrule, and the line to the other lamps into the ferrule's other side. Tape-n-done. no more u-boats or anything.
and i was like [Linked Image] , see you again next year.......

I tried to ask them how they located the fault just under this lamp, as they hadn't digged up anywhere else, but neither the ~40y.o. nor the ~20y.o. spook one word of english...

i wouldn't want to live there, unless i'd have my house installed by myself.
i once saw an outdoor splice box, where they did the only-pretwist job... just twisted stranded wires, but no wirenut had ever been there, tape again. hell.

[This message has been edited by :andy: (edited 04-12-2004).]

Link Copied to Clipboard